relocating from California to UK with ten yr old

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kjtoes

relocating from California to UK with ten yr old

Post by kjtoes »

nb: I edited this a bit to make my questions clearer after mod approved. hope it makes sense

Help :-)

I am UK citizen and am returning to the UK with my family, including a ten yr old (born in 2003, turned ten end of June) and I have little idea what significance the 11plus is with reference to getting into schools. I am interested in getting my daughter into a grammar school -- she has been on fast track program here in the U.S. and though she hates math, she is an excellent/avid reader & writer and has impressive vocabulary and reasoning skills. It's her vocab and writing that really set her apart from her same aged peers in the U.S. .... not sure how she'd compare to the U.K.

What do I need to know about the 11 plus & how I can prepare my ten yr old for a grammar school entrance exam? I understand there will be a verbal and non-verbal reasoning test (per school admissions) and I'm not sure if that's in addition to the 11 plus, or is simply a description of the 11 plus.

Can someone confirm that my daughter would technically start in year 7 based on her birthday Jun 2003? If yes, does it mean she still has to take the 11 plus or will they assess her by some other means? Also.... would a grammar school, provided space were available, generally accept a student if they excelled in one area and not another (I'm concerned about my daughter's confidence in math) or do they take an overall average score?

Lastly, am I correct that I need to apply to the school of interest through the local council (Lincolnshire) and that we can't do that 'till we have a home address with proof of billing -- or... do I apply directly to the consortium of Grammar schools for the local council if I'm applying mid year?

Feeling anxious in California -- mum to three, wife to one ;-)

Kj

p.s. relocating to Lincolnshire county
Last edited by kjtoes on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Okanagan

Re: relocating from California to UK with ten yr old

Post by Okanagan »

First of all - do you have any idea of where in the UK you're thinking of moving to? Not all areas of the UK have 11+/grammar schools, and amongst those that do the proportion of grammar places varies widely, as does the content of the tests taken to get a place.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you relocating to? Not all of the UK have grammar schools. Different grammar areas have different exam requirements also. For example, in Kent,,there is one exam for the whole county ( although this may change), and in other areas, each school sets their own exam.

Please could you give us an indication of where you plan to move to so we can give you the right advice.
kjtoes

Post by kjtoes »

Oooh, goodie!~ some early birds on here :-)

Thank you for responding so quickly! I edited my post to make things a bit clearer...sorry for the muddle.

I am planning to relocate to Lincolnshire county.

Kj

ps LOVE this website and forum. so well organized and lots of info. thank you to all who help run and moderate it.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Kjtoes

there is some Lincolnshire specific info here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 11plus exam there is verbal and non verbal reasoning - a pass mark is set and if there are more passes than places then many of the schools allocate on distance though I think Kings Grantham is score based.

I think you need to speak to the admissions people ASAP as there will be a date by which you have to register (may have gone already :( ) and then there will be a date by which you may have to have a local address .. Obviously with you moving into the area this is not so easy so I suspect that your DC may have to be considered to be a late applicant - chat to admissions people - probably worth a call ??
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

*tuts* at Hermy, Kings school is for boys Hermy :lol:

Kesteven and Grammar School is the one she wants for her DD.

Yes, it is score based.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry, should have posted the link previously:

http://www.kestevengrantham.lincs.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Snowdrops wrote:*tuts* at Hermy, Kings school is for boys Hermy :lol:

Kesteven and Grammar School is the one she wants for her DD.

Yes, it is score based.

Oh cripes Snowy... brain disconnecterated this morning - of course it is a DD - distance comes into play then. Friend got it from 25 miles but reckon California is a bit further :?

Indeed it is Kesteven and Grantham Girls Grammar !!
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

kjtoes wrote: Can someone confirm that my daughter would technically start in year 7 based on her birthday Jun 2003? If yes, does it mean she still has to take the 11 plus or will they assess her by some other means?
I have confused myself. Your daughter won't be in Year 7 until the school year after she turns 11. So she won't enter secondary school until September 2014. Is that what you meant?
kjtoes

Post by kjtoes »

Sallyltb wrote:
kjtoes wrote: Can someone confirm that my daughter would technically start in year 7 based on her birthday Jun 2003? If yes, does it mean she still has to take the 11 plus or will they assess her by some other means?
I have confused myself. Your daughter won't be in Year 7 until the school year after she turns 11. So she won't enter secondary school until September 2014. Is that what you meant?
Sallyltb wrote:
I am not sure what year she would start to be honest. The age a child starts schools in the California are different to the U.K. so I am not 100%. The term dates also vary widely from the U.K. For example, my daughter did not start kindergarten 'till the year she turned six. She just finished "fourth grade" in June and will be a fifth grader in the 2013/2014 school year, which will also be her graduating year from "elementary school" (which I think is equivalent to the U.K.'s primary school).

From what I have researched of U.K. schools, I think she would be considered a year six student right now and for the 2013/2014 school year she would be a year 7 student heading into high school??? If she was born June 2003 and just turned ten, what year do you think she would be entering at the start of the 2013/2014 school year?

I am most concerned for her math fluency in starting a U.K. school as she has no passion for it -- at all. Here's an brief summary of her math curriculum this past school year (2012/2013)

Unit 1: Place Value with Addition and Subtraction of Whole Numbers
Unit 2: Exploring Factors and Patterns
Unit 3: Multiplication and Division using Place Value
Unit 4: Geometry
Unit 5: Order and Operations with Fractions
Unit 6: Decimal Fractions
Unit 7: Exploring Multiplication

because she's in a "gifted and talented class" she also covered much of the curriculum students a year above her usually do, which is as follow:

Year at a Glance Mathematical Practices
Unit 1: Understanding Place Value
Unit 2: Developing Multiplication and Division Strategies
Unit 3: Addition and Subtraction of Fractions
Unit 4: Multiplication and Division of Fractions and Decimals
Unit 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area
Unit 6: Exploring Algebraic Thinking and the Coordinate Plane
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now