Concentration help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
imustbecrazy

Concentration help

Post by imustbecrazy »

Aaaargh! Ah that's better! DD is preparing for test in September, she knows what she's doing and is very bright! HOWEVER, she wants me to sit with her at the table as she does her work. When I do this she gets pretty much 100% of questions right (with the odd mistake), but soon as I get up from the table her mind wanders. The times I've refused to sit with her, she makes 60! It's so frustrating as she is so easily distracted, any tips or advice would be greatly accepted.
RedVelvet

Re: Concentration help

Post by RedVelvet »

I have one very distractable boy. I am usually fairly anti-supplements but I notice a huge difference if he's taking a regular omega supplement. When we run out I can tell within a couple of days.

Also I have used the iPod timer, starting with a few minutes of solid concentration and then working upwards.

He's not due to sit the test until 2014 but I do fear he old spend the entire test looking out of the window/examining his feet/ playing with a bit of fluff...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Another vote for omega 3 here too.
DD was described as a day dreamer in year 3 and never got round to finishing anything.
Started her on omega 3 and year 4 she was a different girl. She still has some issues concentrating at times, and fidgets for England, but she can and did sit through an 11+ exam and do well.
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

Can't believe I didn't think of that, used to give them her. Her diet is second to none, but am missing that! Yes she is distracted by anything and everything! She even says "I'd rather be climbing trees, it's not often we get good weather in England," -any excuse!
Her sister was the opposite, went to her room shut the door and got on with it. I keep telling DD that I can't sit next to her in the test! It's not like I am helping her, she just wants someone there! Do I give in and sit there, just so she learns to concentrate, or does it become a crutch? And to be honest I don't mind sitting with her when improving techniques, but whole 50 minute tests?
rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster »

My DD was similar (now at SHS). In the end I took the view that I could sit in the room and relax or work, and she would get on with the test. If you don't mind, and she does well when you're there, then she'll get more practice and more confidence. It's still a long time until the actual test, and building confidence and proficiency is what is required in the meantime. On the day, it's will be easier to focus because of the exam environment (lots of people will be sitting with her!)
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I've just started ds on omega 3 liquid in the vain hope that I can improve his appaling concentration. I did this as I read an article inj a newspaper in which parents absolutely swore by it and went to great lengths to extol its virtues. However, that same paper has now said don't take it because there is a very clear link between it and an extremely aggressive form of prostate cancer. I give up!!!!!! I assume it means that if you are on it for a long period it may be a problem. He doesn't take the test until 2014, so perhaps I should hold off and start again next summer. Argggggh.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'd start taking it, give it a few months to see if it has any effect and if it doesn't stop. No point taking it if it doesn't work for your DC. If it does work, then research further and make a decision then.
The difference it has made to my DD is enough to have her keep taking it. (She wouldn't be at risk from prostate cancer anyway)
Failing that try and give more food that is higher in omega 3 rather than a supplement if you can.

Not sure if this is true, but apparently most men die with prostate cancer but not of it. ( A medical person would know better) Eating lots of tomatoes, including ketchup and baked beans is supposed to be a good preventer, if you wanted to help negate any risk.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

That's really interesting, thank you. Hopefully there will be a cure for this dreadful disease soon.
He loves beans too, so that's worth remembering!

Sorry OP, back on topic :D
custard

Post by custard »

I've heard that blueberries can help concentration if you eat them 4 hours before a test.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.