is this a good score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

is this a good score?

Post by Guest »

I have been looking at the forums but it is still quite confusing, my daughter tried a maths test paper tonight and got a score of 78%,
trying to get an idea of how this sits in the scale of things?
over half of the ones she got wrong she knew when we looked at them afterwards, so i am thinking if she can organise her thoughts she she could get higher.
How do you turn the score she got into a score she would get on the day (i know here it is 120,120,115)
thank you in advance
kate
perplexed

scores

Post by perplexed »

the general answer you will get from these forums is that it is not possible to convert the practice papers scores into an 11+ score. One of the reasons for this is that the 11+ score that your child will ultimately be given is not a %age that they got correct. The score is based on where your child falls in the normal distribution of scores, and they are looking for children that would fall into the top 25% of the population. Very few children would score 140 (the top score) in all three papers, and the highest number would score 100 (average).

A child could get the top score (140) but not have got all the questions right. So as papers may vary in difficulty from year to year, this all comes out in the wash through the standardisation process.

Scores are also age adjusted so that the oldest children in the year are not at an advantage.

In Kent the pass score varies a bit year on year. But it is normally around about 120 on two papers and 115 on the third.

You do not say which practice papers you child got 78% correct on. If it was one of the NFER practice papers, I would say that is a good mark. My stepson got similar marks in the maths NFER practice papers and in the real test got 140 for maths.

The important thing is to be prepared in the maths for all the different types of questions you see in the NFER practice papers as it is NFER that sets the Kent test. You may wish to save them until later as there are not many of them, but make sure your child has done similar questions based on those types by using other learning and practice materials, and maybe modifying the questions yourself.

Good luck

Post by Guest »

Thank you. Yes it was a NFER paper. Maths paper c.
so fingers crossed. Thank you for replying
kate
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now