Bus Services - CRGS - Advice Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mikedellfarm

Bus Services - CRGS - Advice Please

Post by mikedellfarm »

I really am very new to this and apologise if this is a dumb question. I presume many children travel by buses to CRGS. Are any bus routes funded or are they all private ? If so, how do I find out about bus routes and what the potential cost might be ?

We currently live in Suffolk and will have to move if we are fortunate enough to get in with DS1, however I have to consider where we locate to as DS1 has a sibling. (DS1 is aiming for 2014 entry and DS2 is currently at school in Ipswich but we live half an hour north of that school). DS2 might go for entry 2 years later if he finds the get up and go :wink:

It would seem to me that the clubs and after school life at CRGS are vital and as such would want DS1 to be able to be there as much as needed. Am trying to weigh up the travel time, travel costs etc.. anyone with any advice or guidance on where I can find it out ? Many thanks, Emma.
djy76

Re: Bus Services - CRGS - Advice Please

Post by djy76 »

Hi

Interesting question, we live 16 miles west of Colchester and with DD who is at ColCHS she gets a First Travel (Yellow) bus (though she could also get a Stephensons bus) and the prices for these are on link from CSSE website.

I know of a girl in a village a little further out who gets a public bus (cheaper) and she has options of buses running up to 7pm (I think) and she stays to do after school clubs. My DD has never been keen and does most of her 'extra' stuff close to home..

Maybe other more knowledgeable people can help!
djy
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes, you are correct the majority of boys do bus to CRGS. The bus services fall into several catorgies: there are contract services organised via the CSSE, public buses and private bus/minbus services organised locally.
CSSE details http://www.csse.org.uk/transport.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Public buses serving CRGS include first buses, network colchester, chambers and hedingham coaches. Prices vary a lot depending on route, but as a guide a child weekly inner colchester zone ticket is currently £12.
From Suffolk there seems to be two options, some boys train into Colchester from Ipswich or manningtree and then bus up the hill, or there are some mini bus services. The later is probably quicker but the train would allow after school club attendance easier.
With regards to free transport, very few are eligible, you must live 2 miles away and be eligible for income support, or live 3 miles away and not have a closer catchment school ( due to the location of CRGS I am not sure that this is possible!)
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Thats great information, thank you.
akha

Post by akha »

There is a privately organised mini bus, I believe, going from Woodbridge through Ipswich to CRGS. That is, if decide to stay Suffolk-bound:)
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Thanks for that post, how do you "find out" about the privately run buses ?
akha

Post by akha »

I'll pm you, if you don't mind?