What if a child struggles at a grammar?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

laluna

What if a child struggles at a grammar?

Post by laluna »

My DD has gained a place at an Essex super selective and starts in September. She didn't just scrape in but was not one of the top scorers. English has been her strong subject (level 5 reading level 6 writing/spelling and level 5 maths at the end of yr 6) and thus was reflected in a high mark on this paper in the 11 plus. I am having a wobble. She was issued with a preparatory maths paper before starting in sept and really struggled.I an just wondering if she is going to struggle at Grammar? Any reassurance?
mystery

Re: What if a child struggles at a grammar?

Post by mystery »

Do not worry. Your daughter got a place there and is clearly a strong candidate. The school is a good one so she should be able to do very well there. There would be something wrong with this school if a child with her results cannot do well there.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Don't worry, my boy got in by a few marks, just had his year 7 report and all is great. Also my son's schhol has help for those who need it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

At my dd's old primary there are 6 out of 60 going to selective schools but only one of those 6 got a Level 6 in Writing but all 6 got Level 6 Maths. The ratio of English Level 6's to Maths seems to be about 1:4. It is the English Level 6 ability that will stand your dd in the most stead. English underpins all the other subjects, even in maths you are asked to explain your answer. There are some great Getting Ready for Year 7 books in Smiths so just do a bit of gentle revision over the Summer to get your dd ready for the new topics she will face. She won her place fair and square so is obviously very capable. I have dd's just finished Y8 and Y9. Each year I make sure they are ready for September by doing an overview of the year ahead made possible by the Year books in Smiths. Many parents take a big step back at secondary school and then are surprised when their dc's do not do as well as others. I found out that the student I thought was astonishingly able at primary had actually gone through the topics for the year ahead with his father over the summer. The whole school was under the impression that he was fabulously naturally able and were dumbfounded when he did not get into any of the selective schools he applied for. Unfortunately his parents started believing the legend that had been built up around him and forgot that they had actually artificially propelled him above the other students by preparing him over the summer every year! Apparently the vast majority of students go backwards over the summer which is why Mr Gove is keen to take some of our summer away from us. So do something over the summer to keep the progress going. DG
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Congratulations into a SS. Don't panic. There will be lots of other children similar to yours - not everyone will be child geniuses.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now