School for maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jade

School for maths

Post by Jade »

What school should I put my child ,if he good for maths .(yr5 in lever 6)?
Did any school are special for maths?
Kingfisher

Re: School for maths

Post by Kingfisher »

You need to be a bit more specific. Where in the country do you live?

Your DC will need to pass the 11+ if you are considering grammar schools and the tests are not just about Maths. If you are considering independent schools, there is likely to be a rigorous entrance exam involving English and Maths and interview.

No school focuses mostly on Maths, as far as I know!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Hi Jade,

I remember that I replied to a query of yours a while ago about travelling from Southend to KEGS, so I'm assuming you are in the Southend area?

Both SHSB and WHSB have good provision in Maths teaching; DD also had an excellent Maths teacher at Cecil Jones this year; she has actually just moved schools but took end of year exams there and although we haven't received her report yet, someone in the Maths department asked one of her friends to pass on the message that she had achieved level 7 from level 5a on entry.

Our DS2 in yr5 is currently 6b in Maths (a "proper" level 6 as he has been attending yr7 Maths classes at WHSG all year). It is on my "to do" list to email the relevant person at all the schools we are interested in to ask how they would regard a child who had already covered part of the KS3 syllabus; we did some of the recent open evenings with a friend's DS in tow, and somehow there didn't seem time to do it.

He still has to pass the CSSE exam, though!

I don't know whether you noticed a couple of months ago in the local press the story of the WHSB lad who has got a scholarship to Eton for this September? I seem to remember that he had already got A Level Maths, so I assume that they must provide some special help for gifted boys.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ToadMum wrote:Our DS2 in yr5 is currently 6b in Maths (a "proper" level 6 as he has been attending yr7 Maths classes at WHSG all year)
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry, did not mean to imply that your DS's level 6 wasn't a "proper" one - just trying to pre-empt the inevitable comments that KS2 level 6 isn't the same as a KS3 level 6...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Jade

Post by Jade »

Thank you very much .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now