11+ from Outisde UK

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fyounus

11+ from Outisde UK

Post by fyounus »

Hi
I have registered my son for 11+ tests this September. Just wanted to understand what are the documentary evidence required for address verification? We are living in Saudi Arabia and planning to return back to the UK next April 2014. Will this be an issue for schools as I heard that documentary evidence is required by Nov this year? I have already got a house in Milton Keynes which is on rent.

Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: 11+ from Outisde UK

Post by Daogroupie »

Which schools are you applying for? If you are applying for schools that select on ability and do not have a catchment area then you do not need a UK address. I know a family who applied for HBS and QE boys from Singapore. They flew over for the exams and then returned home. They only relocated when they got a place. DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

In Buckinghamshire anyone can take the test, but after achieving the qualifying score it is done on distance, so unless you are living close enough to the school to get a place you won't (some do offer places to people living a log distance away, but only if there are enough places). One school (maybe more) requires you to be living at the address for quite some time before the test/allocations. You would have to be living in the house to be able to say that was your address (ie you can't say that you plan to move to a certain address and have the place allocated on that). Sally-Anne knows a lot more about this, this is just information I have picked up along the way - if she is around she may be able to give you a clearer answer. The best thing is to check the websites of the schools you are interested in for their requirements, and also look at the Bucks County Council website for details about address proof etc.
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

DG, as fyounus has posted in Bucks, and owns a house in MK, I think we can assume they are applying for Bucks grammars?

Welcome fyounus. The deadline for address evidence is indeed in November. Your current address in Saudi Arabia will therefore be used for the application.

There are two Bucks grammars where it is entirely possible that he would gain a place despite that - Sir Henry Floyd in Aylesbury and Chesham Grammar. Both tend to be undersubscribed and therefore applicants from many hundreds of miles away gain places at them.

Once you return to the UK in April 2014 you can provide evidence of your new address (either your current house in MK or any new one you purchase or rent) to Bucks CC Admissions and that will then be treated as your new address for the purpose of any further rounds of allocations. It is just possible that you might then gain a place at Aylesbury Grammar at that stage. Royal Latin is usually fully subscribed on 1st March and remains that way. You can of course appeal for a place at any school that you have not been allocated.

You cannot use the address in MK for your application if you are not living there permanently - that would be fraud, and the consequences of that can be very serious.

Have you checked with Bucks CC what arrangements are being made for overseas candidates to take the test? In the past, schools abroad have often been allowed to administer the test, but I am not sure whether that arrangement will continue for the new test.

(Cross-post with scary! Here I am, the old nag, clip-clop, clip-clop ... :lol: )

Sally-Anne
fyounus

Post by fyounus »

Hi Sally
Many thanks for the detailed reply. I am interested to apply for Aylesbury grammar. Is there any email address I can email to Bucks CC and ask if they will accept any proof such as mortgage statement or a notice to my tenant.

Thanks
Faisal
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am afraid not. You have to provide absolute proof that you are permanently resident at the address from which you are applying.

Put AGS first on your form and SHF second. You will almost certainly get offered SHF on 1st March, and you can go on the waiting list for AGS.

You might get a place at AGS in further allocation rounds because there is usually a fair bit of movement in the Allocation Profile, but I can't guarantee anything. SHF should be the safety bet though.

If you haven't seen this, it might be helpful: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have sent you a PM.
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

If you are a diplomat different arrangements apply. I assume, however, that in those circumstances you would already be aware.
P's mum
Mophiee

Post by Mophiee »

Hi,

I'm in a very similar position as we're currently living in Australia.

I have spent a long time on the phone with the admissions team who unfortunately have provided me with contradictory advice. However, it appears that due to us being in Australia my daughter cannot sit any of the Bucks tests UNTIL we're back & resident in Bucks.

She cannot even take the test until she is enrolled at a Bucks locality school, so if we were to return to Norwich (per se), she would be unable to even sit the tests. To add more pressure to the situation I was told last night that I need to be back and resident in Bucks by Nov 14th to even guarantee a place at a state school. We were planning on coming back late Dec after the summer but now it appears that we have to back - er NOW!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Mophiee wrote:I'm in a very similar position as we're currently living in Australia.

I have spent a long time on the phone with the admissions team who unfortunately have provided me with contradictory advice. However, it appears that due to us being in Australia my daughter cannot sit any of the Bucks tests UNTIL we're back & resident in Bucks.
This is completely untrue. Your daughter could take the test from anywhere in the world provided Bucks CC Admissions approve the testing arrangements.
She cannot even take the test until she is enrolled at a Bucks locality school
This is even more untrue. There is no requirement to be registered at a Bucks School in order to take the test. Hundreds of children from outside of Bucks take the test each year.
To add more pressure to the situation I was told last night that I need to be back and resident in Bucks by Nov 14th to even guarantee a place at a state school. We were planning on coming back late Dec after the summer but now it appears that we have to back - er NOW!
You do need to provide evidence of your current home address (in Australia) by Nov 14th. Despite that, there are certain Bucks GS where even an address as far away as Australia would not be a barrier to admission.

I suggest that you start an email trail with BCC Admissions. That will allow both sides to get things straight.