How's the preparation going for tests in Sept 2013?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Angie76

How's the preparation going for tests in Sept 2013?

Post by Angie76 »

Hi everyone

Just wanted to see how everyone in Lincolnshire is doing preparing for the 11+ tests in Sept?
I remember this stage being very stressful as i went through this last yr with DS1. I have a few yrs off until preparing DS2 so just want to wish all of you working hard now for your DC's lots of luck and if i can help in anyway i will try.

Regards
Angie76 :D
alsmommy

Re: How's the preparation going for tests in Sept 2013?

Post by alsmommy »

Painfully :(

I only decided within the last month to up sticks and move to Lincolnshire, so DS has done no 11+ prep at all prior to the last 10 days.

We've been following the plan Patricia posted on this forum (although in a considerably condensed form as time is not on our side) and we have just 2 questions types to learn the techniques for before we start the practice papers. On the whole, DS is working hard but I've found that if we do the practice straight after breakfast he tends not to get quite so frustrated as he does when we leave it until 3 in the afternoon. (He surprised me this morning. We were doing Type P and I just cannot grasp them at all - DS is straight in there and getting them right).

All this surrounded by half packed boxes and on tenterhooks awaiting confirmation of our new home. And me feeling guilty for uprooting DS yet again but justifying my actions in that the schools in the catchment area we are in at the moment are just dire, so even if we don't pass the 11+ the alternative non grammar schools in Lincolnshire are so much better anyway.

Anyway ... back to the packing
Angie76

Re: How's the preparation going for tests in Sept 2013?

Post by Angie76 »

Wow you have a lot on your plate at the moment but hopefully as you say this move will be a good move. It sounds like your DS is at least grasping the techniques quickly so fingers crossed he does well. With your support and encouragement hopefully he will see its with his interests in mind.
Can i ask which schools in Lincolnshire you are moving close to? My son sats tests in Sept 2012 for both Queen Elizabeth Grammar in Gainsborough and also Caistor Grammar. We are 13.502 miles from Queen Elizabeth so knew we would struggle so tried for Caistor also as they take in children from out of catchment based on their results. Luckily for us he passed with an Impressive Score so we put Caistor as first choice which is a good job really as Queen Elizabeth only stretched out to 12.6 miles.
Any extra work your DS does now though will still benefit him regardless and as you say your move is placing you in catchment for better Non Grammars also. I wish you lots of luck through this journey and hope your house move goes smoothly.

Angie76 :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now