Did anyone get a letter today from handsworth grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Gbarr

Did anyone get a letter today from handsworth grammar

Post by Gbarr »

We got the shock of our lives today when we received a letter offering our DS a place at handsworth grammar. This was one of the choices we had put down on the form but he received an offer at a normal school, so we were utterly shocked to receive a letter saying a place had come up, does he want it. Did anyone else receive the same letter?
MamaBear

Re: Did anyone get a letter today from handsworth grammar

Post by MamaBear »

nope, my ds is doing the exam this Sept but I just wanted to say Congratulations! Well done to your ds and to you!
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Congratulations, I bet you nearly fell over! Are you going to take it?
Gbarr

Post by Gbarr »

Thankyou! Yes we have decided that it is too good not to accept. Such a headache though trying to sort out bus journeys etc. I have 2 boys started different Grammars this September, its cost me a fortune yet I still have so much to buy. I still am unsure of the best bus route from Great Barr (Scott Arms) to HGS, so any suggestions would be appreciated
kongo1959

Post by kongo1959 »

Gbarr wrote:Thankyou! Yes we have decided that it is too good not to accept. Such a headache though trying to sort out bus journeys etc. I have 2 boys started different Grammars this September, its cost me a fortune yet I still have so much to buy. I still am unsure of the best bus route from Great Barr (Scott Arms) to HGS, so any suggestions would be appreciated
Check the West Midlands Travel site and enter the relevant postcodes and it should tell you what bus to get, am thinking in to Birmingham City Centre and out again, you'll probably find a few others will do it that wasy as well. Good luck.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Echoing kongo1959's comment - the boys I know that go to HGS (from a different area of Brum to you though) seem to choose to go into the city centre and then out again. I'm not sure which bus it is that goes out along the Soho Road but it must have plenty of HGS boys on it!

I have heard others on here ponder using the Green Bus that serves KEHGS which is just down the road but I think there is a longish wait at the end of the day if you do that.

Might be worth seeing if there is anyone around at the school and asking them to pass your details to any boys who live near you to buddy up at least in the beginning. I believe that BVGS offer to pair Y7s up with an older boy who makes the same journey.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I lived on that side of the city for a year some time ago. Iirc, there is a bus from Great Barr that comes down Hampstead Road / Handsworth Wood Road towards the city centre - I think it is the 16 bus? It turns and takes a left to the city centre at the junction with Soho Road / Constitution Hill. So your DS could get off there, rather than travel into the city centre, cross over and catch any of the buses going towards HGS.
UmSusu
Gbarr

Post by Gbarr »

Thanks for all your comments. After much thought and research my DS will be opting for 3 buses....that will be the easiest way for him to travel to school