Short hairstyle for DD before GS?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Samlet

Short hairstyle for DD before GS?

Post by Samlet »

My DD is considering cutting her long hair this summer. I'm not wedded to her having long hair (I've had mine short since I was 5), but having had a look around, I realize that short hair is not at all common at the moment for girls.

I wonder if she should stay long to fit in at the start or am I over-analysing?
Reading Mum

Re: Short hairstyle for DD before GS?

Post by Reading Mum »

I had similar thoughts when DD wanted to cut hers short near the end of yr 6. In the end we settled for just past shoulders (from near her waist) and did it just before the residential trip to Bude so it was easier to manage. It has already grown loads so she could be back to long hair fairly soon if that was the 'in' thing and she wanted to be 'in'.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Wish DD would have hers cut short!
Amber

Post by Amber »

What's wrong with being different? We should celebrate every little girl's desire not to behave in the same way as others - what a great thing for your daughter to express, Samlet :D . She must be a strong little individual and I don't think fitting in is going to be top of her list - how refreshing.

My DD had a French-style bob when she was little, and again for much of junior school. It was lovely and lots of people said how nice it looked. I was always very flattered when people thought my kids were French on account of their clothes and hair, as it bucked the trend for garish, sloganised T-shirts, clothes which really were never intended to be worn together and little girls with long, lank hair.

Did anyone see Janice Turner's feature, 'Living Dolls - The rise of the teen girl clones'? in the Times on Saturday? All about how every teen girl these days has long, straightened hair, plus several other key elements (lashings of mascara, shaped eyebrows etc), making them all look the same - about ten years older than they are and like Barbie. OK, I know it is easy to say this, and not so easy to do - but as mothers surely, surely we ought to be trying to buck this trend - when we are hoping for our daughters to have equal opportunities to study what they like, conquer every last male boundary, is it OK just to roll over and say 'oh you look lovely darling' when they kit themselves out in the latest 'uniform' - especially when that uniform carries a subtle acquiescence to male desires with it?

Funny, I am tempted to get my longish hair chopped too, but don't have the young, fresh face to carry it off these days I don't think :(
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I find the current fashion for long hair hanging unfettered at school very odd. At our school, hair which was long enough to be tied back had to be, if you see what I mean. I had mine just below shoulder length (and therefore tied back) until sometime in UVth (year 11), then one weekend took the scissors to it myself. Okay, keeping a short cut decent takes a bit of effort, but the shaggy, split-ended look for long hair isn't that attractive, either :(

I would say, let her go for it - you never know, she might actually set a trend :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My dd has just finished yr 7 and had shoulder length hair in a bob until I realised she had cut it herself so it was short round her ears as it was annoying her and I suspect to look like her favourite pop star who is some swedish youth I have never heard of...lol.... I have taken her to have some sort of style cut in - she can now tie the back bit back but the front and sides are shorter she seems happier with the the result.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD asked for her hair to be cut very short when she was in Reception. Her hair was down to her shoulders (just about) and did not (and still does not) grow much so I went along with it. First day back at school with the new look: when I went to pick her up, her teacher came up to me and said she had spent the entire day wearing a hat and that she had been 'traumatised' by having her hair cut short :roll:.
ginx

Post by ginx »

My dd has fine hair and in reception it reached shoulder length and had to be tied back or it looked like string! She had it cut in year 2 (it never grew very long).

I am totally in agreement with Amber; what is wrong with being different; I think it's good. Dd2 has her bob trimmed shorter, it seems, every time we go. One mum at school accused me of being "mean" to make her keep it short. I don't make her, she likes it like that. She occasionally grows the fringe but then has it cut.

However, she was the only girl in year 6 - and, after induction day, it seems she will be the only girl in her year 7 class - to have short hair. Having also read an article about teen age clones, I am glad she chooses to have short hair and recognises that it looks pretty, as well as being easy to manage. I haven't washed/brushed her hair for years. It is very fine and straight.

My older daughter has an awful lot of ringlets (natural) and is not vain at all, but has cried ( :roll: ) at the tangles and frustration of her hair. It looks worse cut short - like a triangular wedge :roll: so it's shoulder length now. I would love hair like hers, it is natural, brown, curly, but so difficult to brush. She couldn't be a clone if she tried. My dd's would like to swap hair. No one is ever happy.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DD has hair at the length she wants.
Mine was very short as a child, with brief interludes when I asked to grow it, followed by my mother making some reason for it to be cut short again. I hated it and never seemed to get a choice in the matter.

I have quite curly hair, my hair either has to be long or very short. In between really doesn't work.

My DD wants to have curly hair and often asks me to plait it after she has washed it to make it wavy. It's got a bit of a natural wave to it, but not to the same extent as mine.

As for being different, this reminds me of a picture I showed to me DD recently. A group of white sheep with one black one in the middle. The quote was

"You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you are all the same"
I've tried to install this into her all her life, so far it seems to be working.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I think she should have her hair however she wants, and that what other people do with their hair shouldn't matter. I know mothers of girls (and not little girls, 12 or so) who won't let them have their long long hair cut, and tbh I think that's awful. My dd1 had short hair when she went to GS, and she was one of two out of 90, I think. Bizarre to see so girls many looking the same! 10 yo dd3 has a pixie cut and looks ridiculously gorgeous :-)