Kendrick - some very early questions!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
childrenanddogs

Kendrick - some very early questions!

Post by childrenanddogs »

Hi all,

My daughter has only just finished Yr 3, so it's very early to be thinking about secondary schooling, but her teacher has just told us that she thinks she's a possible Kendrick candidate and we ought to start thinking about it next year. We live close to Reading so are in catchment, but I have to confess that I hadn't even heard of Kendrick before her teacher mentioned it. :oops:

We've not lived here long, and I come from Buckinghamshire in an area where it's all grammar schools (so everybody takes the 11+ as standard and there's nowhere near as much competition). Having looked at the Kendrick info, it seems it's quite cut-throat?

I've had a good read of these fabulous forums but I'm still thoroughly confused and wondered if anybody could help me with the following just to get me started, and then hopefully I can forget about it for a year or so!

- Would it be possible to go and look around Kendrick? I've seen on their website they have open days, but these seem to be aimed at pupils due to start at the school and not those only considering it. I'd like to take her around maybe next year (think they do an open day in July?) just so she can see if it's something she wants to try and work for or not bother.

- Are National Curriculum levels any indication of ability to gain a place? That seems to be what has led her teacher to tell us about Kendrick, but I wouldn't have thought they'd have much relevance? If it makes any difference, she's Levels 3a/4c/4b (at end of Yr 3).

- How does the scoring work, is anybody able to give me a dummies guide? I've seen talk of 109, but then also talk of birthdays making a difference, catchment, etc?

- Am I right in thinking that we'd get Kendrick results first and then subsequently put our school application in with our local council? If she doesn't get a certain place at Kendrick, presumably if we then put it as our first choice she'd be very unlikely to get her second choice if things don't work out with Kendrick? We're also in catchment for The Holt which is supposed to be very good (again, not something I've looked in to really with her only being in Yr 3/4!), so wouldn't want to ruin our chances of a place there by putting Kendrick if we've got no hope.

I'm sure that these questions have been asked previously, but I promise I have done a search! Perhaps I'm just not using the correct search terms to bring relevant threads up.

Thanks in advance for any help that any of you can give.
Tinkers

Re: Kendrick - some very early questions!

Post by Tinkers »

Hi
Firstly, see the Duffers guide near the top of the Berkshire section. I think it's fourth one down. (Your dummies guide).
See link http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=29647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tbh, you don't really need to do anything until the start of year 5 and possibly even later, but worth working a little on vocab. Of course there's a possibility of the exam format changing as other areas have to factor in too.

Secondly, putting Kendrick first will NOT affect whether you get a place at Holt. Admissions are equal preference. Where you put them on the form has no bearing on whether you will get a place. If you are border line for Kendrick in results, you should still put it down as your first choice. If you do not get a place, then your application for Holt becomes your first choice and so on. The Holt is also a good school.

Open evenings are in July and September. Info on these is usually posted in this section of the forum, usually as admissions info. It will also be on the Kendrick website.
http://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/abou ... Year7.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

109 is the qualifying score, however this year the actual cutoff was 113, (from raw scores people posted, thats over 90% required) it depends on how many applied for the test and how many of the higher scores go on to apply. The tests are standardised for age, so summer born children are not at a disadvantage.
People outside of catchment will not get a place, unless there is less than 96 girls in catchment who score 109 or above.

Hope that helps.
childrenanddogs

Thanks Tinkers, that's very helpful.

I saw the 'Duffers guide' which was brilliant, it was just those few questions I had really.

So it sounds like my vague plan will work i.e. open day next year ( if they'll let us) and then if DD likes the school we can think about it further in Yr 5. In the meantime I'm sure she'll keep devouring books at a rate of knots which will help if we do decide to try for Kendrick. And I guess just keep an eye on her curriculum levels?

Can you just tell me about the scoring, so 109 is the cutoff, does that mean that those with a high score know they're guaranteed a place (what is a high score?), and those nearer 109 just have to wait and see?

Thx again for your help.

:)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

109 is the qualifying score. Under that you won't get a place, even if there are spaces.

Every year is different and depends on the numbers applying. There's a link in my guide to another thread which will help when the time comes. Statistics involved but its explained reasonably well.

This year scores went to 113, but last year everyone with 109 who wanted a place got one.

When the scores came out this year, we reckoned that anyone with 116 (using the stats showed that 116 put you in the top 96 or there abouts) and above would be reasonable sure of a place, 113 and above was probably get a place.

We didn't bother with open evenings until year 5, but no one asks ages.

NC levels, you are aiming for 5 in everything by the end of year 6. Reaching level 5 or close by the end of year 5 is a good sign.
childrenanddogs

Perfect, thx for that.

I'm still not getting the scores though, so this year the score had to be between 109 and 113 to get a place? There's not much in it is there! If several children all got 111 (just as an example) then how are they ranked? I've got a couple of years to get to grips with it but it's bamboozling me so far!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

No, they had to have 113 or above this year.
Not sure everyone with 113 got in.
If there are several on the same score at the cutoff, then it goes by distance.
childrenanddogs

Tinkers wrote:No, they had to have 113 or above this year.
Not sure everyone with 113 got in.
If there are several on the same score at the cutoff, then it goes by distance.
Ah, ok, got it now! (I think!). Is there historically a 'safe score' where you'd know you'd almost be able to guarantee a place, or does it really vary?

Thx Tinkers.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It will vary depending on the numbers taking it, and how many of the top scorers decide not to apply or are not in catchment. Some will be taking multiple exams for different schools and make a decision when they have all the results.

Not sure historically where the cut off has got to in previous years.
Last year all those on the waiting list who wanted a place eventually got one, so everyone who scored 109 or above. This year the waiting list has only moved one place. Last year had a low number of applicants, this year was the highest number of applicants (I think) at 651.
sonalshukla

Post by sonalshukla »

Hi,
As Tinkers said 'People outside of catchment will not get a place, unless there is less than 96 girls in catchment who score 109 or above.'

Can someone please let me know when do they consider the address to check whether it is in the catchment or not.
We are currently outside the catchment for Kendrick, and plan to move to the catchment around December end, after which we can aubmit proof of our residential address being in the catchment area. My daughter would be appearing for the entrance exams this October (2013) for 2014 Yr7.
Would the school consider our address that we provided at the time of sending application forms or the new one we provide after December, to place us on the list in case she gets a good score?

Thanks,
Sonal
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

In previous years you had to move into catchment by the end of January to be considered, but you should check, just in case they change their policy.

You would have to still apply to your current local authority in October, then contact them and Reading council/Kendrick when you move, I think.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now