Is this kind of medical info in the public domain?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Is this kind of medical info in the public domain?

Post by mystery »

Is there any way you can find out the success rate for a specific medical procedure for a particular surgeon, or for a specific surgical centre, nhs and private?

Thanks.
fatbananas

Re: Is this kind of medical info in the public domain?

Post by fatbananas »

As I understand it, the NHS have published that info for cardiac surgery, but not for other kinds of surgery - though I think they're working on that too.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Some surgeons are very active in research and audit and do publish their data but can be tricky to find, some are happy to provide access to abstracts and papers such as this guy- I am under the knife next week with Mr D!
http://www.bristolsurgery.com/SectionCo ... tionid=190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

I don't think this info is readily available for all surgeries - but as FB said is available for cardiac operations.

I have called up surgeon's secretary for a family member - to find out

1) number of procedures they have done regarding a certain op.
2) conversion rate from keyhole to open surgery
3) number of complications that self rectify
4) number of complications that require a separate procedure
5) how long surgeon has been doing this procedure for

out of 3 secretaries I contacted I got very detailed email reply back from 2 surgeons - one just ignored me!

I also google the surgeon and find out whether they practise on the NHS/Private or only one or the other. Whether they work in major teaching hopsitals etc /responsible for training younger surgeons etc.

Best Wishes DC for forthcoming operation - wishing a speedy recovery.

Hope this helps
Sleepy
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you everyone. It is a complex procedure which falls under the cardio-thoracic heading and would be classified probably as cardiac surgery. Where is that data, and is it just lumped under one heading or recorded procedure by procedure?

I like the idea of asking directly too. Will do this if necessary but was hoping to make some more discreet comparisons first.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

I would think it would be either on the surgeon's website or on a hospital's website. I don't think it is centralised as such.

I have seen cardiac results for either Royal Brompton or Harefield Heart Hospital - will try to find the web link and post it back.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

http://www.scts.org/patients/find_out_a ... ition.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
some info on indivual C-T surgeons here
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Hi mystery,

I think DC17's list is the most comprehensive, the hospital's I mentiond just publish their overall figures per surgery not individual surgeons outcomes

for example

http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/private-patients ... ardiology/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sleepyhead
Amber

Post by Amber »

I had a full and frank discussion with a surgeon proposing to operate on me: I asked about the risks, how often he carried out the procedure, how often there had been complications etc. He dealt with it all very nicely - I think if you are polite and friendly they don't mind one bit. It's your body after all.

Best wishes for the surgery.