level of academic ability for eton

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

drkag

level of academic ability for eton

Post by drkag »

HI,

I am new to this forum so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. My son, who is only 6 currently, has decided that he wants to go to eton. Combination of reading young james bond and a friend's father. He is at a local prep school in SHeffield but we are by no means financially at the level of Eton. I am also wondering about the academic standards. He is bright, currently reading age 11+ and on a recent assessment by ed psych, due to problems at previous school, his IQ was recoreded as 158. I saw on here a sugegstion fo doing some bond assessment appers and for his age he finds these very easy.

I don;t want him getting his hopes up, do you think he would stand a reasonable chance of getting in. He also loves sport, and is on the LTA tennis performance program as well as playing rugby and cricket plus learning the trumpet so he is a good all rounder.

Thanks in advance

Kirsty
hermanmunster

Re: level of academic ability for eton

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Eton require a pre test in year 6 and then make a conditional offer based on that for the common entrance exam which is taken a couple of years later.

I think they are expected to get about 65% in the CE though this may vary.

There are scholarships (King's scholars) - the standard is rather higher for these.

If you are serious about Eton etc then it may be worth considering your DS going to one of the preps (some boarding) used to sending lads to Eton as they will have experience of what is needed.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It would be very interesting if with an iq of 158 he could not get in. It would suggest that their selection procedure is not great.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Unfortunately as we know, it is not IQ and natural ability that matters but level of focused preparation that will maximise his opportunities of securing a place. I suggest you try higher level papers. I have Y2 students who have a go at 11+ papers. They get something out of it and get better each time but obviously are not operating at the level of the Y5's. You need to be challenging him and progressing him through a series of tests. He will need to get all 3's at the end of Y2 and then be on track for Level 6's in Y6 sats. Do you have current sats levels for him? DG
drkag

Post by drkag »

Thanks

I would rather be didn't go to boarding school til 13. Regards to SATS at end of Y1 he was 3a maths and 3c English.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

They don't have to board at prep it is just that the whole process is easier from some prep schools than others ... Eton produce a list of prep schools they have taken or are taking boys from : (half way down this page: http://www.etoncollege.com/PrepSchools.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

St Anselms at Bakewell (and they even have a bus to Dore and Fulwood) looks like the nearest but TBH there is a bit of a gap in Notts / North Derbyshire / South Yorkshire.. :shock:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Have you visited the school and do you like it? Have you looked at other similar schools?
drkag

Post by drkag »

Yes i've looked at st anselms an we live near fulwood so he could get the bus, I need to look into that further for when he's a bit older. Thanks
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

drkag, wow, they are seriously high grades your son is achieving.

Interesting that the school he goes to has already tested him for SATs grades even though he is in yr1 and added the additional tests for further banding. My DS was only given SATs in yr2 and even then it only gave a banding of 3 and no indication of subsections within. However, when he started in yr3 they then retested and added the subsections within the various bandings i.e. 3c, 3b, 3a, 4c, 4b, 4a etc. I would say that if you DSs school is as clued up as it seems, it is an exceptionally good school.

Put Eton on you list but keep your options open as I feel it odd that you would run with the instincts of a 6 yr old in terms of selecting the appropriate school to bring out their best qualities. There are still quite a number of years ahead of them in which they may plateau out or excel further.

To be honest though, if my DS had been getting the grades that you DS is getting in year 1 I would be going the Prep. school route as the investment looks like a pretty sure bet IFSWIM.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Does the prep school he is already at think they can prepare him for Eton?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now