DS didn't get the grades for uni :(

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zeinab

DS didn't get the grades for uni :(

Post by zeinab »

DS got his results today & didn't do well at all. He's been really shaky for the past 2 yrs because of never ending family problems. His Grandfather who's a father figure as I'm separated had been constantly poorly for the past 4 yrs ( lots of medical letters from hospitals etc & in June 2013 around the time of his exams my father passed away. Also I've had some terrible news about myself from last yr March 2012 & is still ongoing. He doesn't know where to go what to do & hasn't stopped crying behind his bedroom door. He was a high flyer when he entered Grammar school now he's without a university. Distraught? Very much so but I'm not gonna show it because I have to be there keeping that family boat afloat until it reaches it destination. At the mo though the winds & high waves aren't doing my boat any favours.

My dear son got C, D and U. :( any chance of any uni now?

Plse help with some useful/helpful advice.
Last edited by zeinab on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran17

Re: DS didn't get the grades for uni :(

Post by Fran17 »

Oh Zeinab I haven't got any wonderful words of advice but I wanted to say how sorry I feel for your DS. It is very difficult at times like this to be philosophical but I am sure with your love and support he will come to realise that it is not the end of the world for him. I have no doubt you will be flooded with lots of advice from the kind people on here.

Best wishes
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I have just told my eldest DS about your post and he said two of his friends at Loughborough didn't do very well in their A levels. They took a gap year, got a job, resat there exams and are now studying Engineering.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Lovely Fran, thank you for your kind words. It's one thing after another in this world. But I believe everything happens for a reason & with the right decision he will be back on course. Time will tell.
chad

Post by chad »

Really sorry that he didn't get the grades.

As Fran said.... there are many that resit a year, improve their grades and successfully apply to uni. There are also foundation degrees in clearing. This is usually an extra year and based on ucas points ranging from 120 to 240 including any AS levels achieved (depending on the uni). This gives the opportunity of being at university and, if you pass the foundation year, going on to the full degree.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

It's so hard. Like others have said, DS could re sit the year or do a foundation course? My eldest DS took an apprenticeship over going to Uni, maybe that could be an option in the future if not right now?

Before checking UCAS and going to get grades this morning I updated my facebook status. It read 'How you deal with life is the marker of the person you are so I have confidence success will come of the hand dealt today, whatever it brings'. We had no idea at that time what my DS would get but if he did not get the dizzy heights required we would pull together and find a way, a different way. Focus and consider all the options, there is no need to make any decisions today.

x
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I too want to offer my support, and my assurances that he can do what he wants in the future albeit maybe slightly more slowly this year.

I think resitting a year can be a really good idea and have known lots of DC who have done this - and really gained from the experience. He will be more mature, more resilient and more emotionally ready.

Good luck to you all, and well done for holding it all together........mums of the world unite!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

So sorry at your news Zeinab.

I think one important thing is for him not to make any knee jerk decisions. There's lots of help and advice out there (as you know from this lovely forum).

Here's hoping he can see there is light in all this darkness, and he finds what he's after.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

So sorry Zeinab.

You have both had a terrible time.

Again, I don't have much practical advice, but the foundation year sounds a possibility. I know that some friends have done this before embarking on a teaching degree.

His hope of university is not over by any means.

I went to study Chemistry at the age of 29, I only had an ONC in Sciences which was A level equivalent, b results were not good enough on their own, but I was a mature student and had work experience, so was accepted.

I feel for you both, can your son maybe get some advice from school or careers office?
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Thank you for support that's always second to none. DS was predicted AAB, but we have to be realistic now & see what our options are & take it from there.

It is not the end of the world & maybe this is the beginning of something much better for him in the future even though it doesn't seem like it now.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now