Bus to Tiffin Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
One_Shot

Bus to Tiffin Girls

Post by One_Shot »

Hi all,

My daughter is sitting for the Tiffin Girls school exam this year. If she is lucky enough to scrape through, does anyone know what options are available for travel from Kingston bus/train station to go to the TGS? Is the journey convenient?

Thanks!
WOTMum

Re: Bus to Tiffin Girls

Post by WOTMum »

65 bus route to Ealing travels from Cromwell Road Bus Station via Kingston station (stop is across the road opposite the Rotunda) then round the one way system and straight up the Richmond Road to TGS. Gets pretty packed in the afternoons but seems manageable in the morning when journeys are more staggered. Our DD has just finished Year 7 and uses the bus most days from the station. She sometimes walks up a bit and catches the bus outside Sainsbury's in the morning.
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

WOTMum wrote:65 bus route to Ealing ..
WOTMum - Thanks for the prompt response.

Is Bus route 65 the only public bus available? Are there no other buses on this route? If the majority of the school waits for this bus in the afternoon, one would possibly have to skip few buses to be able to board one?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi - my DD is starting in Year 7 at Tiffin Girls next month. The 65 is the only bus that goes along the Richmond Road to the school, so yes I imagine it gets busy. My DD's plan is to catch the train to Kingston with a friend then walk. We walk this route regularly to get to our dentist and it should only take about 15 minutes. I'm told by friends that a lot of the girls cut through to the towpath and walk along the river to and from Kingston Station instead, particularly in the summer - much nicer than the main road. It's also possible to catch the 65 from Richmond Station (from the other direction!).
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

Peridot wrote:Hi - my DD is starting in Year 7 at Tiffin Girls next month. The 65 is the only bus that goes along the Richmond Road to the school,

Thank you. The TFL site also lists two other buses (671, 691) - are these not operational or am I just not reading the TFL site right?

Thanks!
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

The 65 is the only regular bus. It is scheduled to run about every 8 minutes (but gets busy on sections as it passes a number of rail stations)

You don't say where you live, but there is also the 671 which actually goes to TGS. It starts in Chessington, passes Surbiton station at 07:50, Kingston Station at 08:02. It is one bus per day schooldays only and return leaves TGS at 15:25

There used to be a Surrey school route 801 from Esher area but Surrey axed a number of school routes (including 801) year or two ago

The only alternatives are 371 (walk from junction of Tudor Drive and Richmond Road), The 371 runs close to Norbiton station. I know 371 is a popular alternative at Richmond Station, although it is slightly indirect, as queues for 65 mean you might have to wait 3-5 buses to get on a 65 at Richmond. I think those that join the 65 at Kew bridge station, or Kew Gardens (short walk from Kew Gdn stn) dont have the problem of being left behind as bus is full.
Although the 371 is mainly single deck buses, there are a couple of double decks at school times to help shift the larger numbers

There is also the hourly K5 (alight at Aragon Rd / Fernhill Gardens, just behind the school, its hail and ride so can stop just by Fernhill Gardens), timings aren't great and routing is slow as its aimed at those who dont want to walk to a main bus route stop. So unless K5 virtually passes your home there are quicker ways.

Having seen a reply about walking via the Thames path reminds me there are cycle lanes that way as well, there are also cycle lanes in Richmond Road. A quick alternative for those in Teddington area is to cycle (using the footbridge over Teddington lock). There is a path at end of Grosvenor Gardens (directly across the road from TGS) to the riverside.

If you say what area your DD is coming from might be able to advise more as they are some subtle bus connecting points
Last edited by Snowdaddy on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

One_Shot wrote:
Peridot wrote:Hi - my DD is starting in Year 7 at Tiffin Girls next month. The 65 is the only bus that goes along the Richmond Road to the school,

Thank you. The TFL site also lists two other buses (671, 691) - are these not operational or am I just not reading the TFL site right?

Thanks!
691 wont help, it starts one stop north of TGS and runs to Surbiton. Can't see this bus surviving much longer as it was aimed at taking North Kingston children to Hollyfield school, but Hollyfield only has a catchment of about 1 mile for last few years so runs almost empty.

see my previous reply for timings of 671
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

Snowdaddy wrote:
If you say what area your DD is coming from might be able to advise more as they are some subtle bus connecting points
If my DD is lucky enough to make the cut, she will be travelling from the Wimbledon area. So, either the train to Kingston station or 57/131 to the Kingston bus station with a switch to an appropriate bus is what I was thinking.

Thanks
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

One_Shot wrote:
Snowdaddy wrote:
If my DD is lucky enough to make the cut, she will be travelling from the Wimbledon area. So, either the train to Kingston station or 57/131 to the Kingston bus station with a switch to an appropriate bus is what I was thinking.

Thanks

The train is quicker, but you will need to pay for a ticket
The bus is free (assuming you have applied for the £10 zip card for 11-16 year olds on TfL website)

For the return journey all these buses call at the stops in Cromwell Road at the bus station, so changing is easy. However in the morning the buses from Wimbledon stop at Cattle Market (Fairfield North) so need to either walk through the alleyway by Argos and Lidl to Eden street or walk to Clarence Street to get 65 / 671
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

Snowdaddy wrote:
One_Shot wrote:
Snowdaddy wrote:
For the return journey all these buses call at the stops in Cromwell Road at the bus station, so changing is easy. However in the morning the buses from Wimbledon stop at Cattle Market (Fairfield North) so need to either walk through the alleyway by Argos and Lidl to Eden street or walk to Clarence Street to get 65 / 671

Many Thanks for the prompt and detailed response. Now for the difficult part of trying to secure a place :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now