Foundation degrees

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Foundation degrees

Post by moved »

I didn't know very much about these until I asked for a question for a relative recently.

Since then I've had a good look and they really do offer a fabulous opportunity for university access to those who for one reason or another don't do too well.

In the case of my relative it was immaturity and laziness rather than ability. This will give him the opportunity to continue to grow up a bit.
scary mum

Re: Foundation degrees

Post by scary mum »

Thank you for starting this thread, and thank you to anyone who has any knowledge about the courses.
Last edited by scary mum on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Scary mum - have just been looking at the MMU site http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergradua ... 013/10036/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they seem to want : 280 at A2 or acceptable alternatives (such as BTEC National at Level 3 at MMM or Advanced Diploma). A2 grade C or acceptable alternative in Chemistry. AS or acceptable alternative in Biology.

so it looks like 2 sciences to A level would be OK.
moved

Post by moved »

Family member just about to embark on this route. I was stunned by how low the grades needed are for a medicine degree and the MEng.
tubby

Post by tubby »

Scary mum -We applied for straight and FD through UCAS, DS got rejected for the FD and accepted for straight degrees, Plymouth changed the course to FD due to low grades. Some Unis will not accept A level students, only international students, we chose FD through UCAS because like you we knew chances of getting decent grades were slim, and thought if he could get to a reputable Uni he can continue there, unfortunately the 2 rejected him. Queen mary, sussex, keele provide FD. In terms of getting bored i think they will only teach what is essential for their chosen path, and not the whole A level Syllabus (i think). We are going to Plymouth clearing and opening day tomorrow if you have any questions you what answers to you can PM.
solimum

Post by solimum »

I don't know anything about the financial angle, but wonder if you have to pay tuition fees to do a foundation year and therefore whether a year at a different sixth form might be a cheaper option... Worth checking before accumulating a year of extra debt.
Ski

Post by Ski »

Moved - can you enlighten me to the low grades for the MEng course? After less than stellar but reasonable AS results this year I am worried for predictions and actual results next year...... Son wants to do a Civil Engineering MEng

Help any info you can give may calm my shattered nerves
moved

Post by moved »

Nottingham offer BBC for MEng.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/cou ... urses.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loughborough gave a place for BEng with some Cs, not sure how many.
Ski

Post by Ski »

Was that through clearing or were those the courses he/she originally applied for
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I thought that foundation degrees and foundation years were different things. The former being a two year course leading to a qualification of its own ( often in a more practical subject) whereas the later allows access to a degree course for those without the correct qualifications, sometimes called year 0 :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now