GL Paper scores - should I be panicing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rosehulk

GL Paper scores - should I be panicing?

Post by rosehulk »

My child has been making excellent progress so I was disappointed when we gave him the 1st GL maths paper.

He got 50%. Admittedly he threw away ten questions through mistakes.

My tutor said that this is normal and he will improve in time for Sept. But also GL papers are still harder than real thing.

Should I be panicing?
mystery

Re: GL Paper scores - should I be panicing?

Post by mystery »

You can't panic over just one paper. You have got time to practise the gl papers between now and then. It is good practice working on papers where he will not be able to get super high scores. Remember that to get 140 in a papers- the kind if score judd needs rather than just a pass - a raw score of around 75 per cent can do the trick.

Why does your tutor say the real thing is easier? Doesvshevhavecsome real old papers tucked away?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Panicking won't solve anything. Do some more papers, and if he is weak in one particular area then address it. You've got time to fine tune before September
rosehulk

Post by rosehulk »

Apparently previous students have said the real thing is easier than the gl papers
mystery

Post by mystery »

The difficulty will vary slightly from year to year. From info that was on the Judd website a while back (not sure if it is still there) they are setting papers in Kent where a pass mark on each paper is roughly around a raw score of 50% and a standardised score of 140 is around about 75% raw score or higher.

So in reality children are scoring much lower in the real thing that a lot of the stuff on here (even in the Kent section) might lead you to believe when you read about the practice work that children do at home.

I wouldn't consider the mark in a practice paper as significant at the moment. Just use all the GL assessment papers as well as you can between now and the real thing to get to grips with exam technique, the type of questions that might come up and weak areas which you and your child need to learn some more about between now and the real thing.
rosehulk

Post by rosehulk »

2nd test much better 33...so hopefully it is just upward trend from now on
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe, maybe not. It is not logical to expect an upward trend as the papers are not intended to be of the same difficulty.
rosehulk

Post by rosehulk »

I think what is happening ...is that his weak points are being sharpened......
hence the improvement (I hope)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, but I would not set yourself up for worry by expecting each score to better than the last on the 8 gl assessment papers in each subject. There is no logical reason why that should be the case.
rosehulk

Post by rosehulk »

Yes you are right did next paper and it was 29..frustrating as alot of simple mistakes not because he did notknow how to do it.....very frustrating