Cem style mock test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Parsnip

Cem style mock test

Post by Parsnip »

My son has just sat 2 mock tests. He got 62%.any idea what you need to pass
patricia

Re: Cem style mock test

Post by patricia »

Hi Parsnip

Welcome to the forum.

The percentage pass mark is unknown.

We know it will be weighted towards the VR (comprehension, cloze, vocabulary.)

Weightings are as follows...

VR 50%
Numerical Reasoning 30%
NVR 20%

On a general note I would be careful of mock tests, although suggesting they can be used for CEM some tutors/companies are using 3 separate tests which is not a true representation.

one 50 minute VR test (some companies using the old style 21 types some using English papers and some mixing the two )
one 50 minute maths test
one NVR. test

The real tests will be

2 tests - 45 minutes each (with a 15 minute break)
each test will use a mixture of all 3 disciplines
there will be time restrictions within each test
not allowed to go back to previous sections.

Patricia
apr022013

Post by apr022013 »

Last edited by apr022013 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patricia

Post by patricia »

I doubt very much that the raw score will be as high as the old test just yet. Bucks will not reveal such details - the information can be gathered over future years due to appeals and requests for raw scores from individual parents.

As more and more information is revealed about the test content, the raw score will more than likely shift.

The ratio of children being selected is in the region of 30% plus successful appeals - will remain very similar.

The first year of a new test will always be the guinea pig...

I am aiming high with my students (a hard task master) no particulary percentage - just my expectations for a particular set of work.

My experience is that no matter how intelligent a child is, with 6 weeks of relaxing they are "brain dead" by the time they go back to school - taking a couple of weeks to get back into their stride. As the test is within days of starting the new term, I am working my students hard over the holidays...

Patricia
mystery

Post by mystery »

The number of bucks grammar school places has not changed so unless other figures have changed you are still striving to be approx in the top 30 per cent.

Sounds like vocabulary / inference and maths skills are more likely to put you in the top 30 per cent now in the bucks test relative to your old bucks test. When you just had to do gl assessment v r before it was a matter of doing gl assessment vr types to death - codes etc.

Just bash on. No point in thinking about what that 62 per cent means. Nobody knows.
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

I think it depends on the mock test. My daughter who is definitely bright and in all home mocks inc CGP has never scored lower than 71% raw score only got 39% in a mock test she did run by a company i will not name. When we looked at the paper afterwards the paper was really badly conceived, very confusing and they had told the children that they must not read the front two pages, just to get on with the exam, this meant she had no idea of the timing of each section in the paper.

If anyone is reading this and is thinking of last minute mock tests for your child I would be very careful. It really affected my daughters confidence. Luckily I think we have managed to get her to see it as an opportunity to see how she can improver her test taking ability, not an indication of what the test may be like or the score she is likely to achieve in the actual test on 12th,
year5mom

Post by year5mom »

My current Year 5 DC sat cem mock test to see where she stands and she scored above 60% in Paper1, Paper2 and 54 % in NVR. It was timed very similar to the original one - two 45 minutes paper and a final 15 minutes NVR. It is unfair to sit her along with Year 6 children, but she enjoyed the challenge. Are these English, Maths much easier than the real one?

Will these scores be very low for Bucks - she has a year to boost the scores, but what do these scores indicate?

Any advice/input greatly appreciated.
year5mom

Post by year5mom »

Can't find a post that I sent this morning under this thread - where could it have landed?

Post landed in the right place now! :wink: Herman (Mod)
year5mom

Post by year5mom »

Thank you, waiting for input/advices...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Unfortunately no-one knows as this is the first year of the new tests.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now