Raw score CEM vs. Bond

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lea's mum

Raw score CEM vs. Bond

Post by Lea's mum »

Good evening everyone,
My daughter is taking the 11+ test in Bucks this September and I am a bit confused by what she needs to achieve to pass. She is a good all rounder, and when she does some mixed papers at home (stretch maths, stretch verbal, etc.) she usually complete them in time and achieve between 90 and 100%. But she did 2 mock with her tutors, which were the 2 CEM papers available to buy: these were much more difficult and she had 67% and 74% of questions correct. The tutor is now doing some weekly mock, with V, NV and NR, very much in line with CEM, and she achieve 67% to 69% of the questions right. As she has been told by her tutor that she needs to get 80% to have a chance to pass, she is really discouraged.
Can someone clarify for me what does this mean? Does she really needs to have 80% of the questions right on a CEM test?
Thanks for your help,
scary mum

Re: Raw store CEM vs. Bond

Post by scary mum »

No-one knows. There are several other threads about this at the moment, so they might be of interest to you.
scary mum
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

Thank you, I am reading a lot of forums hoping to understand a bit more, this is so confusing. I don't want her to feel discouraged though, so I usually tell her that she can do it, and try to help her learning her vocabulary which I know is her weak spot.
But looking at some of the comments on some forums, 67% of correct answers might mean that she is completely off the scale, whilst looking at the Bond papers she is supposed to do well? :?
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

I would not leave her feeling discouraged at this stage. I would say that she is scoring at a good level and continue the work-try to focus on any weaknesses at this stage.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

This is what I am doing, I tell her she has good chances to make it, and praise her hard work. Only this gets tricky when she questions how can she make it whilst she score only 67% of correct answers on the mock...and the tutor goes on about the 80% rate?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The tutor has NO idea - nobody does as this is the first year.

I would stop the tutoring if s/he can't be more positive and truthful.
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

My dd is scoring over 90% on tough Maths,VR and NVR papers and not so well on the CEM papers.

Ask the tutor where they get the 80% from ? Remember its first past the post.So your dd has a good chance
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

The tutor has been good in term of the work done and has been really helpful, he doesn't really tell us that she will not pass, in fact he has told us that she has a good chance, but the mention of the 80% rate really confuses us. I guess nobody really knows.
It just break my heart to hear our daughter discouraged after every mock - it takes me days to bring her back to a more positive outlook.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Does your tutor claim to have some kind of inside information or is he just going on what he would have told pupils sitting the previous version of your 11+?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

He doesn't claim anything, he might be referring to the previous years. I see him later this week, I will ask him. This is not always easy as there are other kids there and it is always a bit sensitive to discuss scores with everyone there
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now