Jackie Wilson Four Children and It

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Jackie Wilson Four Children and It

Post by Daogroupie »

Five Children and It, wonderful, easy to read, funny book by Edith Nesbit, author of the Railway Children. I have written a comprehension paper on it and my students really enjoyed doing it. So I was horrified to notice in Smith's that Jackie Wilson has copied the book and is selling it as Four Children and It. If she thinks it is such a great book why doesn't she refer to it in one of her books as she does with Anne Frank to inspire children to read it? But no, she just straight copies it and sells it as her idea knowing that now everyone will read her version instead of the original. It is not like she needs the money. What is the problem? Has she run out of ideas herself? If you have a Jackie Wilson fan in your family please get them the great original Five Children and It and not her inferior copy. It really does not require the dumbing down she gives it. DG
ginx

Re: Jackie Wilson Four Children and It

Post by ginx »

Thank you for that information, Daogroupie. Dd2 has moved on from Jacqueline Wilson but occasionally reads them, and she has Four Children and It.

I'm surprised it was published, surely someone apart from you must have noticed it was copied? (Note: I obviously have not read either book!)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is out of copyright, Edith Nesbit died in 1924 so Jackie Wilson can do what she likes. There are many classics like Wind in the Willows, A Christmas Carol and David Copperfield that have been rewritten in simple forms for children but this did not need rewriting, I have Y2 and Y3 doing my comprehension paper and having no problem with it. It is simple classic writing with easy themes. She could have brought this book to thousands of children by referencing it in one of her books as she does with Anne Frank. But of course anything with her name on will sell so her publishers are not going to turn anything down that she produces. I would like to think that somebody in her publishing house had a pang about stealing Edith Nesbit's work. I have been to an evening with Jackie Wilson where you get to ask her questions. We asked her about why her dad's are always so dead beat. You can be sure I will ask her about Four Children and It if I ever get another chance to go! I could send you my Comprehension Paper on Five Children and It and you would see what a copy Four Children and It is. I was aghast when I looked through the book in Smiths. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Chez Toad we would like to think that not even Jacqueline Wilson would rewrite The Diary of Anne Frank and expect to come out of the experience unscathed...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
nuru

Post by nuru »

It is awful, isn't it? Dd herself said she thought JW was out of order and that she would not be reading the book!
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Can't beat the film, with Eddie Izzard! :lol:
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

If parents were to read the JW books, I suspect many would pause before allowing their mid-primary school aged children access to them. The themes are often closer to "Boys from the Blackstuff" than a casual glance at the colourful covers would suggest. Fine for older kids I suppose.

Full disclosure: I was an avid E. Nesbit reader as a child. :wink:
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My DD was one who has read a few JW books and is not a fan at all. It is great that the classics get referred to in modern books though. DD moved from the Twilight books to Jane Austen after Pride and Prejudice got a mention :)
piemom

Post by piemom »

I can't believe JW gets away with it, such a shame. My daughter was given a load of her books & I was a bit shocked when I took a peek. The style of writing suits 8/9 yr olds, but some of the subject matter was highly inappropriate, in my opinion. Sorry to say quite a few got re-donated- to the local recycling centre. :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now