problems with nfer maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wiggy

problems with nfer maths

Post by wiggy »

Don't know if anyone out there could help me or has experienced anything similar. My son is about to sit his 11+ on Saturday. He seems to be having problems with the NFER maths. We all feel frustrated (especially him) as he has always found maths very easy - school have told us he's gifted at maths and he was taught with the year 6's last year (on the 'top table') even though he wasn't 10 till May. Why then does he keep getting questions wrong that he understands how to do? I know a few silly mistakes are bound to happen, but he's dropping about 20% of his marks in this way. He scores well in VR and NVR. - His handwriting is very untidy and he struggles to produce neat work, even though school tells us the content is very good. Is it just immaturity? He sat another 11+ a few weeks ago ( results in about a week) We've gone over time and again about the importance of reading the questions properly and jotting down working out. He is reluctant to write things down - obviously thinking he can hold it all in his head. I'm presuming the maths questions are more complex than ones he's done in sats etc where he always performs really well. However if I ask him to look at any question on the nfer papers and explain to me how to do it he always explains it perfectly, and gets the right answer!!! I'm lost as to what to say to him that I haven't said before.
Any help/advice/words of comfort/bottles of gin would be most welcome!!

Post by Guest »

SNAP!!
It is amazing how similar this sounds. that was us last year:but when it came to the real thing, he did it.

Unbelievable. we had run out of advice and instructions to give him. If he knows his stuff, he will do it.

Of course that doesn't mean you won't worry till the very end or pray that all goes well but the adrenaline on that day will focus him.

Good Luck and stay calm.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:SNAP!!
It is amazing how similar this sounds. that was us last year:but when it came to the real thing, he did it.

Unbelievable. we had run out of advice and instructions to give him. If he knows his stuff, he will do it.

Of course that doesn't mean you won't worry till the very end or pray that all goes well but the adrenaline on that day will focus him.

Good Luck and stay calm.
PS. For gin, go to REHAB, various other liquid comforters available there.
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

hello! Thanks for your reply, it's a lonely thing sometimes - childrearing!! Nice to hear we're not alone. Think perhaps we need to just leave the papers alone now, it can't be good for his confidence. Glad it all turned out well for you and yours (fingers crossed)

Post by Guest »

since he knows his stuff, you could revise as you did - asking him questions from the paper and him explaining to you how he derived the answer. It worked for us as well because that it's basically a run through of what he can do.

Sometimes, it's just tiring to sit down and work through a whole paper.He sounds already up to scratch with all the content of the Maths requirements.

No worries,

SNAP
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Yes, you're right about the tired thing. We've always made sure he does his homework (he doesn't get all that much) then given him lots of time to play and relax. I feel that the preparation for the 11+ has robbed us (and more importantly him) of a lot of our chillin' time. We only started mid June about half an hour most days - but fitting it in with everything else has not been easy. I'm amazed how much some people manage to fit in. Don't think we could have asked any more of our son though, although I know some children are happier to do more work. Son prefers telly and trampoline!!

Post by Guest »

wiggy wrote:I feel that the preparation for the 11+ has robbed us (and more importantly him) of a lot of our chillin' time. fitting it in with everything else has not been easy.
Hasn't it just? for what it's worth, lots of other children go through it as well. We are just happy it ended well(?) so wish all goes well for your son, too.

Cheerio.
SNAP
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

You son sounds exactly like mine!
Good at maths, making silly mistakes in his 11+ practice, not writing down his working or scribbling on the corners of scrap papers..
In the end he did better in all his tests than in his practice...
I am sure that the adrenaline on the day focused his mind..
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Thanks for your reply - it's easy to imagine that it's only your child doing certain things - it must be a bit of a boy thing! It's reassuring to know we are not alone. Glad it all turned out well for your son - hope ours is ok, he has his heart set on grammar school as I know lots of children have. It's just so nerve racking not really having any idea how he has done or will do in this next one. We keep telling him he'll be fine, but know he's worrying all his friends will get in and he won't. It's a lot of stress for a 10 year old I think.

Post by Guest »

Exactly same as my son! He was a young one too and was very inconsistent with practice papers but he was so focussed on the day and pulled through with flying colours. I think the occasion aids their concentration in the end.
Good luck!