Scrambled sentence examples

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
brum_blue

Scrambled sentence examples

Post by brum_blue »

Hi, can anyone point me to a set of example questions in the style where you get a scrambled (jumbled, mixed up) list of words of a sentence and you have to put them in order. Some ones have an extra word that you have to miss out.

I have searched the web, and most examples out there are too easy for 11 plus use, aimed at younger kids or for teaching English as a second language.

Additionally, does anyone have any strategies for tackling these? Seems sensible to find the verb first etc., but some solid advice there would be useful.

thanks.
guest201

Re: Scrambled sentence examples

Post by guest201 »

The only ones I have found are in the CGP verbal reasoning CEM books. My DD finds this type difficult, her tutor told her to look for the verb, I tell her to see which words go together to make a small sentence and add to it, get a verb and subject together put the adjectives with something they can describe etc.
There was one that had words like "music flashing and disco has lights loud etc. etc."
My dd would put together "loud music flashing lights " and expand from there.
patricia

Re: Scrambled sentence examples

Post by patricia »

I make up my own. Write out a sentence, add an extra word, mix them all up.

I tell my children to read all the words, work out what it is trying to say, rewrite it (very quickly - speed writing) crossing off each word as they write it down. Should be left with the odd word not crossed off.

Patricia