HBS v WGSG - which is harder to get into?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

HBS v WGSG - which is harder to get into?

Post by Middlesexmum »

I've always thought that HBS was one of the most competitive schools but I'm wondering now if WGSG is harder?

We are in the outer catchment for WGSG so 18 places available for a whole load of different Harrow postcodes, is that right?

I've heard that for outer catchment you need marks in the 90s to be in with a chance..?
Sallyltb

Re: HBS v WGSG - which is harder to get into?

Post by Sallyltb »

Middlesexmum wrote:I've always thought that HBS was one of the most competitive schools but I'm wondering now if WGSG is harder?

We are in the outer catchment for WGSG so 18 places available for a whole load of different Harrow postcodes, is that right?

I've heard that for outer catchment you need marks in the 90s to be in with a chance..?
Remember the outer area wraps right around Watford. We are in the outer area in Herts and DD got a place there on academic a few years ago, but rejected for scholarship at Habs. She scored I think without checking 272.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I think it depends at what your child is good at. There is less to focus on for WGSG as it is maths and VR only. Wheres with HBS isn't there an English paper too.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There are lots of different factors to consider. HBS, any girl can apply, WGSG only those in inner and outer catchment. HBS, lots of girls from prep schools apply as parents spend their money on prep trying to get 7 years of free secondary. At WGSG there is no opportunity to show your strength in comprehension and creative writing so it is all about your strength in Maths and VR. But at HBS you will be up against girls who have been prepped for years in these skills. The Watford Maths paper is too easy so students rush and misread questions, see several threads on this. There will be families who will prefer Parmiters so all gender siblings can be together. I would say that HBS would be harder as there are simply many more girls applying but it is not quite as clear cut as it looks! But it is great to have a choice and not be completely reliant on one exam. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now