CEM and or CSSE - dds only

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Araucana girl

CEM and or CSSE - dds only

Post by Araucana girl »

Just wondering how many dds are doing CEM and CSSE this time or are people opting for one or the other? I know that CCHS have opted out to try to lessen the amount of tuition and prepping that goes on by using a supposedly tutor proof test - all it seems to me it has done is double the amount of work that is done. I seem to be working for CSSE with dd one minute then thinking what I should be doing for CEM the next.

How is everyone else finding this or is it just me losing the plot? :D Will be so glad when this is all over roll on the 21st - only 27 days to go!
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
2Girlsmum

Re: CEM and or CSSE - dds only

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I'm in North London, and DD2 is applying to St Michael's Grammar which has VR, NVR, English and Maths on 13/9, and Latymer CEM on the 14th. Her sister is at St M. and it's her 1st choice but we also like Latymer, so have to do both sets of tests back to back. I'm mainly prepping for her 1st choice, but the Comprehension and Maths cross over to some extent, and we are working on the Cloze tests a bit. The NVR is just so different though I'm worried to do any yet! It's tough trying to cover 6 subjects well :shock:
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

I think the problem with the NVR in the CEM tests is the speed that they have to be able to answer the questions. My DD gets 100% in NVR if left to do it in her own time, but is lucky to get 50% and has even been known to get as low as 18% when given 20 seconds a question which is the speed that is expected for CEM. Scary - I certainly cant do them in that time.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Tinkus-Pinkus wrote:I think the problem with the NVR in the CEM tests is the speed that they have to be able to answer the questions. My DD gets 100% in NVR if left to do it in her own time, but is lucky to get 50% and has even been known to get as low as 18% when given 20 seconds a question which is the speed that is expected for CEM. Scary - I certainly cant do them in that time.
That makes me feel a bit better :D dd and I did a CGP NVR paper this morning and gave ourselves 6 minutes for a 12 question section, neither of us could finish the sections in the time. She got 57% correct and I got 44% :? it's the only subject I just cannot beat her on :lol:

CGP recommend you get 85% to pass, although I think they are just being very cautious as it will depend on the school and the cohort, but even so ....... how on Earth do you achieve 85% in those times?

Glad not just me :wink:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!!!! My dd gets 100% if left on her own but when timed we're down to 65% and she never finishes a section :(

I feel the same preparing for csse but then panicking and thinking I should be doing more NVR. PLease let this be over soon :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now