Am I doing the right thing?????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nimbus

Am I doing the right thing?????

Post by Nimbus »

I feel so sorry for DS- it's meant to be his summer holiday's and the poor kid is doing exam papers! He is just doing 1 bond or a GL each day, I am alternating the subjects and he seems to be coping well but I feel really mean!
doodles

Re: Am I doing the right thing?????

Post by doodles »

If he's coping well don't worry. We, as parents, often worry about things that the children don't. Last summer we also did papers every day - we did them early in the day to get them out of the way and then had some fun. Remember it is just one school holiday, there will be plenty plenty more :roll: :roll:
wigwam12

Post by wigwam12 »

If he is a capable child (and I am sure he would be) then absolutely you are doing the right thing preparing him for an exam so he doesn't get upset about getting to it undercooked and setting him up for an excellent education.

Last year I played bad cop. If anything let the good cops help by playing hard with him during his break times :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Take a browse through the regions and you can see that there are lots of forum members doing the same thing. The students you see celebrating their GCSE's and A Levels this week will have worked hard while others played. The opportunities they have open to them now will not be repeated and need to be worked for. I am sure you can make up for it later if he really feels hard done by. DG
catmum

Post by catmum »

I agree if DS is keen and not worried by the work then carry on and don't panic, ask him how he feels.
However having been through the system with 2 children ( moderate amounts of practice papers and no tutor - one 'passed' one didn't) they are both doing exceptionally well at their different schools with fabulous GCSE results ( proud mum!) Colleagues ni a deprived area with poor schools also have children celebrating great results this week.
I guess what I'm saying is, I got very stressed by 'the system' in Trafford and felt I had failed 2nd child by not pushing more,but have realised ( too late for my nerves!) that success in GCSE's is down to aptitude and hard work whichever secondary school they are in not what extra work they did at 10.

Good luck to your DS whatever the outcome he sounds like he will do well wherever he goes. :D
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Nimbus wrote:I feel so sorry for DS- it's meant to be his summer holiday's and the poor kid is doing exam papers! He is just doing 1 bond or a GL each day, I am alternating the subjects and he seems to be coping well but I feel really mean!
Don't be feeling mean......you're not spending all day doing them. It's only for this summer holiday and if he really wants to go to GS then this is the right path. He is certainly not alone, lots of children are in the same boat. He's coping well, so that's great! Honestly, you'll look back and realise it was time well spent. My DD did it last summer. She passed with flying colours and the preparation for the 11+ really set her up for year 6......she was well ahead of those who didn't sit any 11+ exams.

Good luck to DS, it will be worth it in the end! :D
future

Post by future »

Spot on , Pumpkin Pie
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Thanks all for your kind words. Today I have heard about one poor child that has been working for 6 hours a day thru' the holidays (absolutely ridiculous!) so I don't feel too bad now! :)