a

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

a

Post by Yamin151 »

Hi all
Last edited by Yamin151 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladymuck

Re: Twins, one terribly stressed about exam

Post by Ladymuck »

If it is just a week to go, then I wouldn't pull him out now if he wants to do it. If nothing else, let the exam make the decision for you.

YOUR decision will be whether or not to apply for different schools for them, especially if, but regardless of whether one passes and one doesn't. HIS decision is how much work does he put in for the test.

FWIW, I'm surprised if he hasn't at least seen he has made progress during this process. With most children there are one or two of their classmates who seem to be super-intelligent, always getting 100% or near as. I point out to ds, that yes, he may not get higher marks than his friend, but he "just needs" to be in the top 150/300 whatever.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Both twins need to be prepared for the fact that one of them may pass and not the other. It could be the opposite way round from the way you are expecting. Same risk with siblings. If one doesn't want this scenario to happen within a family it is best to steer clear of selective schools.

Are the twins identical are not?

Anyhow, tell them both the system sucks and that schools get it wrong too and they are both as able as one another and long term it is hard graft that counts.

Only pull him out if you feel this will relieve the stress short and long term and that it is damaging to him longer term.

Which test are you doing? Most tutors are school teachers and no more reliable at assessing children than school. School can be wrong, so can the tests.

If the twin is one whole nc level above hi brother he may find the tests harder because his starting point in maths etc in terms of curriculum knowledge will be sketchier than his brother. He needs to work more than his brother at this point, not less.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Bbb
Last edited by Yamin151 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I would definitely let him do the test, esp as he wants to. He's perhaps comparing himself to his brother, but what about the rest of the cohort? Is he really likely to be borderline, compared to all the other Kent Test takers?

Finally, I would say, what I'm going to tell my kids: it's just one test, on day, and it's not perfect. You know your DC will thrive because you believe in them and they have your support.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Bbbb
Last edited by Yamin151 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes. Yasmin, what makes you yourself fear he will not pass and the other one will?

Sounds like he is perfectly capable in maths if he could make such good progress in maths. Do not underestimate the bad effect that differentiation in maths lessons can have in school on a child's maths. Was he in a different group and covered different work from his brother? Some schools teach less to kids who make a lot of inaccuracy errors. It does not help. School just sees an incorrect answer and does not have the time to see if it conceptual understanding or inaccuracy that is the cause. Shove them down a group and give them easier class work and homework is their answer.

What raw score does he need to pass? What do you know about the test content in your area?

Dropped right back relative to his peers - how do you know this during the summer holiday?

If warks grammars are tough to get into and verging on superselective, then the comps should still have some very able kids. I remember years ago being warned by a p g c e tutor in brum not to take a warks job as the schools were starved of dosh by the lea. Is this still
I feel like you have got lost in his panic too - quite understandably. It sounds like your prep is all about speed and absolute score comparisons on tests which are probably not like the real thing as warks is cem. Maybe tell him that other counties are bringing in c e m because it is supposed to be less influenced by tutoring and the best prep is reading a good and enjoyable book. You have no evidence at the moment that has convinced me that he is less likely to pass than the other twin - other than the panic.

What form does the panic take?

Speed is good in warks cem I thought. Most kids make careless mistakes in the real thing. Have you looked at the cem scores in the real exam in your area? They are low. The child who is more used to getting some questions wrong might actually be the better prepared one on the day.
Last edited by mystery on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Nnnnn
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Bbbb
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh people love to talk about 90 per cent in bond tests. Which Bond tests and under what conditions.

Which bond maths have made you worry recently? And which bond maths was getting higher score on a while back? And what was other twin getting? Were both twins always able to make direct comparison throughout?

Sounds like with strength in vr and nvr you have just as much chance as anyone. Is his panic just for maths then?

Don't give up on him.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now