pls help woodhouse college

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jackie

pls help woodhouse college

Post by jackie »

please can anyone help me or provide a site where i could get the following information. my child has applied for a place at woodhouse college starting sept 2006, to date he has not been offered an interview. i know that there are several people at my childs school who are in a similar dilema as myself. the last date for interviewing outside applicants is today. the question i ask is everyone who applies offered interviews, the reason i ask is because i have telephoned the college who advise me that they have had over 2000 apllications for 450 places and there is slight possibilty that there maybe a future interview date. they also advised me that they have not even looked at my childs application who is predicted 10 a-c grades and a grades for the subjects he wishes to pursue at a level. surely this is unjust and unfair and wrong. so the question is do they have a method on who they interview without viewing all applications. the college is reluctant to offer further advise therefore any information is appreciated
James

Post by James »

Hi Jackie,

I think you're right - they appear to operate unfairly. Have heard of a boy told there was a long waiting list but given an interview because they liked the sound of him and then offered a place on the spot.
Selection by interview is one of the practices being outlawed under current Govt proposals (at least at 11+) so it may be even be worth theatening to take it up with your MP (though this may obviously antagonise the school).
James

Post by James »

...on the other hand, as I remember they say they allocate places on a first-come-first served basis, so may use that excuse not to offer an interview. Problem is, as I said, I think they bend the rules if it suits them.
jackie

woodhouse college

Post by jackie »

hello james,

surely they can not have a system where it is first come first served, and if this is the case or the governors aware of this system?. Their website and prospectus clearly that all applications recieved before the deadline are treated equally. so why state something in writing and then say it again at the open evening if they do not intend to follow this rule as i clearly remember being advise that all applicants would be offered interviews before they made there decisions.
James

Post by James »

Hi Jackie,

I may be wrong, but I seemed to remember hearing that people made a particular point to get applications in early. Not at that stage yet so haven't looked into it properly.