Special Needs Arrangements?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wodev

Special Needs Arrangements?

Post by wodev »

Hi,

I have my second child taking the new 11+ in a couple of weeks. Said child has been diagnosed and certified with severe dyslexia, her current OOC school is fully aware, and I have made efforts to make Bucks CC aware too. Bucks CC have contacted the school as far as I am aware.

But there does not appear to be any special arrangements in place for dyslexic children - the prep test and transfer test arrangements are the same for my child as they are for all the other children.

Does anyone know if a special dispensation is being applied to the marking for certified dyslexics?
Sanna

Re: Special Needs Arrangements?

Post by Sanna »

Hi Woodev, there is a pretty well documented process for the new Bucks test to ask for special access arrangements. Did your school use this?

Schools asked parents to contact them if they felt their child had special needs for the 11+ test. The school had a form to send off giving details and evidence of the issues, current school arrangements, and to say what special arrangements might apply. There is a list of special arrangements which include up to 25% extra time, large fonts, scribes etc but not special marking arrangements. The deadlines were in July for these forms, and a special access panel was considering requests this summer. Decisions out late August.

If anyone missed the July deadline it did say something about it (I can't remember what) including that the child may need to not sit it on the normal date. The Bucks schools website has all the special access information I think somewhere.

Good luck with it!
Last edited by Sanna on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wodev

Post by wodev »

HI,

Thanks for that. As far as I am aware the school followed the procedure, but nothing has been made as a "special arrangement". Dyslexia is a wide area, and DC has a problem with writing as opposed to reading, so maybe the judgement is that DC doesn't need any extra time because of the nature of the test (multiple choice and all that). Be nice to be told though!
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

I received a letter just yesterday in reply to our application. Perhaps yours is still on it's way? Depending on which deadline the school met your letter could be later perhaps... although it would need to be soon if they are to sit the 12th Sept paper.

I hope you get what your DC needs for a fair shot at the test.
wodev

Post by wodev »

Oh well....no letter for me.

School starts back tomorrow, guess I will be hassling them, see if they did their end of the job...

But part of me says that if DC can complete this exam on a level playing field with the other kids, she will have a better chance should she decide to go to GS. I'm proud that DC is trying hard. That's all I ask.

Good luck to all
mystery

Post by mystery »

Are you saying it would be a level playing field if she receives no concessions? And are you implying therefore that she needs no concessions?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now