How likely are "jumbled sentences"?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sanna

How likely are "jumbled sentences"?!

Post by Sanna »

Hi experts!

Does anyone with experience of CEM know whether "jumbled sentences" come up much on CEM papers I.e. where there is a sentence with the words in jumbled order and one extra word added which you have to spot?

My DC doesn't get on with them and with so few days to go I was wondering whether at this late stage I can get away with forgetting them and concentrating on things he can do and building his confidence.

If we do need to work more on them - does anyone have any bright strategies for solving them? I know of two:
1) read the words, see if some naturally group together and start to create your sentence, and
2) look for the subject, the verb and work from there...

Thanks for any help!
Okanagan

Re: How likely are "jumbled sentences"?!

Post by Okanagan »

Given that this was the example used in the Presentation to head teachers about the new test I'd be surprised if they didn't use it this year.

From that example "is hours waiting he several for been had" there are clearly two words - been and had - which suggest the past tense and one - is - for present tense, so that's the clue there.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Thankyou Okanagan,

I'd forgotten about that presentation. All of what you say makes perfect sense. Thank you.

We will take a look at them!
loopymum64

Post by loopymum64 »

Good point. We were practicing these earlier in the summer but haven't done any for a while and now I can't find the books that had them in !! Can anyone remind me please ?
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I haven't seen jumbled sentences with the extra word in any books except the CGP CEM papers. The Susan Daughtry books have jumbled sentences but there is no extra word.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now