Late CEM Entry trouble

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
baconsandwich

Late CEM Entry trouble

Post by baconsandwich »

Hi there
A colleague's daughter was supposed to be sitting CEM this September, but she is now going crazy as her tutor missed the new earlier deadline for registration, last Friday, despite promising her that she would take care of it.

I told her I would post on here to ask for any advice, as I can't find anything elsewhere.

She submitted a paper form when the school gates reopened on Tuesday morning but received it back by post today with the words 'Not Accepted'. No explanation or anything.

:? Is there anything she can do?

Thanks for any ideas at all
Araucana girl

Re: Late CEM Entry trouble

Post by Araucana girl »

baconsandwich wrote:Hi there
A colleague's daughter was supposed to be sitting CEM this September, but she is now going crazy as her tutor missed the new earlier deadline for registration, last Friday, despite promising her that she would take care of it.

I told her I would post on here to ask for any advice, as I can't find anything elsewhere.

She submitted a paper form when the school gates reopened on Tuesday morning but received it back by post today with the words 'Not Accepted'. No explanation or anything.

:? Is there anything she can do?

Thanks for any ideas at all
My gut feel is that they will not let her take it, sorry but I think they keep to the deadlines. A similar thing happened in one of the other regions, form was sent in late, and I think that was it - too late. I think the fact that she has had her application form returned says it all. Sorry, not the answer that you want. I personally would never let anyone else register for me!
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surely the parents should have made the entry?
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Don't think it will have helped a lot of people either as the secondary schools admission booklet for Essex came out on 31st August and within it said that people had to register for the exam by 30th (i.e. day before they would have seen the booklet). You could try arguing that she only saw the date on the 31st from the booklet, but I would think CCHS would say it was freely available for all on their website and that of the Consortium.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Oh dear. I am sorry but I also don't think there is anything that they can do. They can try calling the school but I would be surprised if they will accept any late entries especially bearing in mind that they are posting out the arrangements for the exams today.
ahap

Post by ahap »

For CSSE there is a late entry test for anyone moving in to the area but it will be held next year after allocation. The DC will be put in the waiting list along with others. I don't know for CEM but call & find out the options.
What is the reason for relying on the tutor to apply for their DC? Was language the barrier?
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

That is dreadful considering the tutor has been paid for preparation for an exam the child may not be able to take now....I would be furious but then I would not have left the tutor to do the application. Sounds an odd arrangement.
motion

Post by motion »

Hi,

Sorry to hear this, I know a child whose application was accepted after a deadline, but they had a good reason and they were coming from a state school north London.

But they had to call admissions first to explain. Maybe if you give them a call...

Good luck

Regards

Motion
baconsandwich

Post by baconsandwich »

Thanks everyone.
I have passed on the information.
Not sure why the arrangement with the tutor was made, but not having been through it myself yet, assumed that was normal.

:) Thanks again
BS
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

As someone with parental responsibility has to sign the form and you need to attach proof of address eg a utility bill, I don't see how a tutor can do the application.

I hope she can get something sorted.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now