Half day closing for year 6 open evening

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gad

Half day closing for year 6 open evening

Post by gad »

Just curious - is it standard practice for schools to close for the afternoon when they have the year 6 open evening?
My son started last year and we were quite shocked when his school did this, my daughter started at a different school this year and we've discovered hers does as well, so maybe they all do?

Post by Guest »

my sons school had theirs last night. he finished school at 1pm yesterday and this morning was asked not to come in until 10.30 while staff put the classes back in order. from what i understand this is the norm.
chad

Post by chad »

Same at my sons school....couple of weeks after starting he had the afternoon off. He thought it was great!!!! :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have never worked in a school that did this - nor is it the norm in Bucks - what a cheek!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest55

There are some Bucks secondary schools that take half day in order to get ready for open evenings. In fact I thought it was the norm.

Patricia
Jill

Post by Jill »

I have worked in several primary schools over the years and have never had a closure prior to open evening.
It is not the norm in Surrey or West Sussex.
Could do with a later start the next morning though!! :wink:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Jill

I think you may have read the thread incorrectly.

My understanding is that the thread is talking about secondary school open evenings for year 6 children. Its the secondary schools that are having the half day not the primary.

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Patricia,

Interesting ... it's not the norm in the schools I know
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Just to add.. They also close early here in Wirral too.

DD did think it was funny that they put up all these posters and change the rooms around to show potential parents the school.
Only for the following day to change them back so the children had there "Normal" classroom back..

AM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We used the displays put up early in the term and stay late to set up ready - get out texts, other resources, exercise books - that's why I ALWAYS recommend you go round on a normal day.