Music scholarship audition tomorrow - any tips?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bondgirl

Music scholarship audition tomorrow - any tips?

Post by bondgirl »

Hi

DS is attending a music scholarship audition at Dartford Grammar tomorrow. If he is successful, he will get his music lessons paid for (and with two DDs also learning instruments, the costs quickly mount up!)

He sits his Grade 4 Trombone exam later this week and is also going to sing a piece (although he has had no singing lessons). I am hoping they are looking for potential rather than accomplishment! Does anyone have any useful tips or advice?

Thanks in advance.
mystery

Re: Music scholarship audition tomorrow - any tips?

Post by mystery »

Tell him to be careful not to hit anyone with the slide while auditioning, and if any strange noises are emitted by his instrument, suggest that he stops and recites the rhyme "pardon me for being so rude ...."
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is he in an Orchestra? The panel will be looking for candidates that will make a contribution to the school. Have a look on the website and see if you can print out a list of any bands or ensembles that he could join and make sure he makes a point of mentioning his willingness to do so. At our school music scholars are asked to sign up to three music commitments per week. I will also send you a pm DG
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

For auditions:
Keep playing if he makes a mistake. Don't stop. That's a big no no at audition.

Stick to pieces he knows well. His grade 4 ones? He should probably know a little bit about the pieces too, but don't worry him this late if he doesn't. Make sure he knows the composer. They are unlikely to ask him questions - but might. Tell him to make an educated guess, or just say he doesn't know.

Maybe warn him that he might be asked to play some scales or sight read? It's unlikely though, and the school would have probably warned him prior to audition so, if he is a worrier, it is probably best not to tell him - too late to do anything about it now anyway.

Don't forget the sheet music for the accompanist. Taping in a strip is usual, and acceptable.

If he isn't a trained singer then to pick something he knows well, likes :D and is within his range and suits his voice. I am sure your DS will give a good account of himself.

Tell him to embrace it, nothing will change if he doesn't get a scholarship so to relax and enjoy it.
Well you can try tell him that last bit. :lol:
Good luck!

Edited to add: Musicians never apologise for a mistake someone thought they may have heard... :lol:

He's never to say sorry for any mistakes. :wink:
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks for the useful advice (and the pm DG). He only has to play one piece so he's going to play his Grade 4 unaccompanied piece and sing a piece he did as a solo in a recent concert.

I'll let you know how it goes. Nothing to lose as you say :D
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Just a quick update. Found out today DS has been awarded a music scholarship :) Thanks for the tips and advice.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is fantastic news Bondgirl, hope you have been out celebrating tonight. How many candidates was he up against? DG
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks DG! Think it calls for a small celebration over the weekend :D Not sure how many others applied but I suspect there will have been quite a few. He has to participate in the Concert Orchestra plus one other ensemble (think he's going to do the R n' B band) and join Junior Choir.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Excellent result, Bondgirl. Your DS must be over the moon.