11+ exam centre

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DW

11+ exam centre

Post by DW »

Hi
We're trying to decide at the moment where my daughter should sit the 11+. In terms of choices of school, she wants to put Chelmsford first because that's really where she wants to go, however I am wondering whether the atmosphere for the exam itself would be less intense at Westcliff or Southend? Does anyone have any thoughts?
taxidad

11+ exam centre

Post by taxidad »

Hi,

The advice I have been given by both tutors & parents alike is for your daughter to sit the exam at the school she most wants to go to. I have also heard that schools can have a bias towards those who sat the test at their school.
gad

Post by gad »

The schools aren't allowed to show a bias towards children that sat the exam at their school.
We put Chelmsford as first choice but our daughter sat the exam at Westcliff for the simple reason I didn't fancy driving into Chelmsford on a busy Saturday morning! Last year Chelmsford had 2 sittings for the exam and Westcliff only one, in the morning.
gad

Post by gad »

Just to add - the atmosphere at Wescliff was friendly and as un-stressy as it could be considering the circumstances. The girls didn't have to hang around in the hall too long before being taken through to the classsroom in which they sat the exam. My daughter's friend took the exam at Chelmsford and I get the impression it was similar there.

Post by Guest »

My daughter sat her exam at St Bernards, where only around 60 girls sat it, her fisrt choice was Westcliff, where she has just started, we thought It would put her off with so many other kids sitting the test at the bigger grammars, she was really pleased when only a handful, compared to hundreds turned up!

Post by Guest »

I have always been told that its best to sit the exam at the school of your choice.
DW

Post by DW »

Thanks for your advice with this. With our surname beginning with W, I suspect that if she does sit it at Chelmsford she might have to wait until the afternoon. That's something I'm keen to avoid as I think it would make for a very stressful day!

I also didn't realise that they take it in a classroom rather than the hall. That sounds a much better idea to me. My daughter didn't think it was a good idea for her to sit the exam at Westcliff because there was too much in the hall for her to be distracted by!

Post by Guest »

DW wrote:Thanks for your advice with this. With our surname beginning with W, I suspect that if she does sit it at Chelmsford she might have to wait until the afternoon. That's something I'm keen to avoid as I think it would make for a very stressful day!

I also didn't realise that they take it in a classroom rather than the hall. That sounds a much better idea to me. My daughter didn't think it was a good idea for her to sit the exam at Westcliff because there was too much in the hall for her to be distracted by!
My son sat the test in the afternoon last year. His older brother had a morning start back in 2004. We actually preferred the afternoon slot (son doesn't do early mornings anyway - well, not until he got his place, now has no choice!).
We had a nice leisurely morning and had time for brunch of bacon and eggs, followed by a walk through the park for that all important fresh air fix. It actually felt a lot less stressful than getting up early and just having enough time to grab a quick bite and then get off to school. I do appreciate some may prefer the early option as it is less time to think about the approaching test, but just wanted to say not to worry if you get an afternoon slot, just plan what you'll do during the morning and make it a special time.
Best of luck.
guest123

Post by guest123 »

Thanks for your advice with this. With our surname beginning with W, I suspect that if she does sit it at Chelmsford she might have to wait until the afternoon. That's something I'm keen to avoid as I think it would make for a very stressful day!
Both of my kids had the afternoon session and passed the exam (phew). Both knew that they would be the afternoon so always planned easy morning, brunch and planned departure from home. Not sure it has much effect either way as long as the day is stressful anyway and we decided just to play it cool on both occasions.

Classrooms were used at both Chelmsford Schools and I really think this helps them just go in and get on with the exam. I think one of my kids would have been awed by a huge hall and lots of desks, but coped fine with a classroom scenario.
DW

Post by DW »

Thanks for that. I'm sure you're right re the afternoon session - I just worry that my 2 daughters would get into an argument or something that morning and the whole day would deteriorate from there!