GCSE Stress and Panic

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SN

GCSE Stress and Panic

Post by SN »

Hi!
My son has just gone into year 11. He seems to be quited stressed and worried about the exams ahead. Has anyone been in this situation, Any advice will be appreciated.
hermanmunster

Re: GCSE Stress and Panic

Post by hermanmunster »

yes quite a few have done the GCSE bit..

what is his main concern? is it any particular subjects? have the school mentioned any concerns?

sometimes schools will do catch up sessions for key subjects if they feel kids are struggling.. has anything like this been suggested?

On the other hand he may just be anxious re exams in general and that is a hard thing to deal with as exams these days are pretty endless and a bit of focussing and anxiety is not a bad thing as having a v laid back child can sometimes feel worse!

If you feel able to give it, a bit more information would perhaps help people advise you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are the first year group for some time to face all the exams at the end of the course.

We are encouraging our Year 11s to keep up to date with homework and after 'mocks' we will help/encourage them with revision planning.
SN

Post by SN »

He feels he will not be able to meet his grades and therefore not be able to select good subjects for A'Level. I feel he has lost confidence in himself. We will have to gradually encourage him to build up his self esteem. It has been only 2 days into the school term. I only hope he gets back to his usual self.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Get him to check the syllabuses he is doing and print off the list of topics.

He can then see what he has already covered and hopefully that will encourage him.

The first term is long and it is important to pace yourself. Maybe get him to look at a few exam papers and see what he can do; it usually helps.
moved

Post by moved »

I've taught many, I've raised one who's just done his and I have one to go. I've met few who were not stressed.

Sadly, the media and the Govement make them feel like failures even when they succeed. It is our job to let them know that they are real successes.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

My new y11 was in tears on Friday morning because "y11 is scary". She'd had 1 1/2 days of lessons, with every teacher laying it on thick about how important this year is, you're going to have to work really hard for your exams next summer, etc etc etc. I can see the teachers want to get everyone e enthused and ready to work, but it's hard really to see how the lectures work - the ones who don't care still won't, and the conscientious ones like my daughter and your son who already want to do well just feel really pressured!

Looking at the syllabi and past papers as suggested above should help. My daughter has a stack of revision guides and work books, so when she's feeling worried, she can do a couple of pages, and at least then she knows that she is doing something - gives her a bit of control back and makes her feel calmer.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I'm worried now.

My dd takes her GCSE's this year and so far I've not had any feedback from her. She is the sort to do what needs to be done and gets on with it, but I wonder should I be encouraging/enquiring/supportive. I'd hate to leave things how they are when a little suggestion here or there may make a difference. On the other hand I don't want to add to the pressure either.

Hmmmmm, I shall ponder upon this now.
mystery

Post by mystery »

SN wrote:Hi!
My son has just gone into year 11. He seems to be quited stressed and worried about the exams ahead. Has anyone been in this situation, Any advice will be appreciated.
I think the answer very much depends on how stressed and worried he is, and why.

Hope things are improving in the meantime.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

I think much of the tone is set by the school. My daughter is now in the U6 and is fortunate enough to attend a super-selective. At GCSE there is an assumption that the girls will get A/A* in almost all exams, so the school is very relaxed, the girls are relaxed and the results are good.

At a partially selective school nearby, the teachers get stressed about league table places and pass that stress onto the pupils. It is a difficult balance between motivating pupils to perform and frightening them so much they freeze.