Chelmsford VIth forms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Chelmsford VIth forms

Post by moved »

Hi,
Does anyone know the actual requirements for outside entry into CCHS/KEGS VIth forms. I am aware of the minimal entry for both, but the reality of entry seems to be more like 10A*.

A friend would like her daughter to transfer to Chelmsford next year.
Blitz

Re: Chelmsford VIth forms

Post by Blitz »

I know 8 A* and 4 A got a place at KEGS this year (transferred from WHSB).
KM

Post by KM »

Dd is in Y12 at CCHS and whilst they don't really know what they all got at GCSE they definitely did not need 10 A*s to get in. She thinks it ranges from 2 A*s to all A*s for the girls who came from elsewhere and obviously if they were already at CCHS they can get back in with less than that. She knows of people who transferred to Kegs with 4A*s, so again 10 A*s definitely not required!
moved

Post by moved »

Does anyone know if the lower offers were for science and maths?
KM

Post by KM »

Sorry moved - dd doesn't know for definite but seems to be under the impression that the science and maths courses at Kegs are the most difficult to get into. At CCHS she says it depends on which subjects have less uptake amongst the girls who are already there. So if a year group were particularly arty then there may be more spaces available for science and therefore you could get in with lower grades in one year as compared to another. Basically, there is no set grades you need to get in any given year. It just depends where they are plugging gaps and if that coincides with the subjects you wish to study.

Incidentally she has just said there is she knows of at least one new girl with no A*s so I don't think it is always as difficult to get in as people may think.
moved

Post by moved »

I know of one boy with 8A* and 3A who didn't make it in to KEGS, which has rather disheartened a WHSG girl who wants to go next year.
djy76

Post by djy76 »

A friend's DD did not get into KEGS with 7A* and 5A's - she was wanting to do Sciences but is now at ColCHS
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

KM wrote:
Incidentally she has just said there is she knows of at least one new girl with no A*s so I don't think it is always as difficult to get in as people may think.
Is she doing the IB?
KM

Post by KM »

No, Blitz - she is doing A levels as is my Dd (thankfully!)
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I like the sound of the IB for my DD... just find the 'hard sell' that you get at so many school events toe curling!