What can I do?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Louie

What can I do?

Post by Louie »

I have a 9 year old daughter who goes to Blenheim Primary, she has just started in year 5.

I would really like my daughter to go to Southend High school for girls, My daughter is a bright child and loves learning, and soaks up information like a sponge, however she tends to struggle in maths a little, this sometimes leads to her being disheartened and a little demotivated. Can someone please give me some advice on how to tackle this in preparation for next year for the eleven plus and how do I find out what preparation material she needs to be able to get into Southend High School for Girls, I would love her to have the best education possible.

I would be most grateful for any advice that would help.

Many thanks

A desperate Mum!
gad

Post by gad »

I would recommend you do definitely go for it as your daughter has priority admission for the Southend schools and if she's bright stands a good chance. The general view is verbal reasoning needs to be strong, you can afford to be a bit weak in maths or English but not both. My daughter gained a place at WHSG this year, but her 11+ English score was less than 50%.
As for the Maths, does your daughter know her tables? If not, she needs to learn them! It made my daughter's life so much easier, we made up flash cards and went through them every night. We had some fun with it, making a game of it and giving her little rewards when she remembered them. After that I would recommend downloading some of the papers from this site as a start off and seeing how she gets on. Remember VR is the most important though so make sure she gets a lot of practice with that as well.

Good luck!
guest999

Post by guest999 »

Hi

We also went through the 11+ last year with a successsful outcome. The VR is the most important paper & I would say you need to do as many papers as possible as its very important to finish the paper as it carries 50% of the marks.

Also the English & Maths papers are above the level they are taught in school, especially the english which was very hard this year.

Post by Guest »

Hi, Year 5 is the right time to start preparing.
My daugher sat the test last year and passed.
The books we were recommended to practise with is the Bond assessment Papers.
We didn't time how quickly she did the tests until the July, August just before she took the test in Year 6.

She would benefit in reading as many classical books as she can, keep a dictionary handy when reading and look up any unfamilar words.

Learn all the times tables and focus on Verbal Reasoning as primary schools dont teach VR. My daugher was strong with VR, English good, weakness in Maths, luckily the Maths Paper last year was easier than normal, but they made the English hard.
She studied so hard, even the night before the test! She was quite lucky as the night before the test, she sat a Maths paper and was stuck on one particular question. My husband helped her out and showed her how to do this hard sum.
Luckily for her this question showed up in the exam! She was very pleased, so even studying the night can help.

On the last page of the English paper they normally have a question worth 12 points, so make sure she knows if she is stuck on 2 questions, then dont bother wasting time on the question that is only worth 1 point, when she could be answering the other one which is worth loads of points.

I hope it goes well for you and your daughter, fingers crossed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now