Remaining calm

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
znbamd

Remaining calm

Post by znbamd »

Hi all
so the entrance exams will commence from this Saturday, how are you all keeping your children calm and confident? I am worried my child may get upset or anxious on the day and want to do my very best to prevent this
Any tips?
m15sgv

Re: Remaining calm

Post by m15sgv »

Reassure them that you are happy whatever happens on the day and that you are proud of them regardless. The last thing they need is pressure from parents. Just letting them know everything will be fine is enough to put them at ease.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

If you can , gently preapre them for the fact that its going to be very busy ( for that read bedlam!) around and in the schools. Leave plenty of time, park and walk up ( don't even attempt to park or stop near any of the school sites).

Plan a special treat for afterwards. Keep calm yourself ( even typing this, it is all coming back and my stomach is churning and I went through it four years ago!!!).

Keep your child away from any obviously distressed children- easier said than done I know.

I just said to my son to do his best- and that the result wasn't the be all and end all.

The schools do try and help- in the AGSB exam they gave them a little jokey question to start them off.

Good luck to all your little ones.
and...breathe

Post by and...breathe »

I just want to wish you all the very best of luck for all the upcoming exams.My DD sat hers last year and I remember exactly how I felt.She was calm and I was pretending to be :shock: It was very very busy at all the exams, but for AGGS we went on the tram and walked up the Downs.I avoided upset children AND a Parent,tried to remain smiley and chatty.I had some excellent advice from TraffordMum and she wore a watch,had fish for tea(brain food) the night before and an alpen chocolate mint bar for her snack.She ran out of time on the nvr(1st) paper and said she could feel herself getting upset in the break but a lovely girl,who I shall be forever grateful too,chatted to her and really cheered her up.It was bedlam at pick-up,purely due to the volume of people.We went out for Tea that evening as a treat.Im happy to say that she's just finished her first week at AGGS and seems to have settled in really smoothly.I couldn't be happier.I also told her from day one that it was a test to see if this was the right school for her and not just about the academics.Good Luck and I hope to see lots of happy posts on results day :D
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

With ds1 I also avoided driving and used the tram and then walked up to school.

We also got there quite early so that we were near the front of the queue. The queues at AGSB can be quite overwhelming but ds1 was oblivious as it was all behind him.

As others have said - reassurance that the outcome is not the be all and end all and you will be proud of them whatever is crucial I think. Also a treat - my friend and I took our boys for lunch in Altrincham after AGSB.
znbamd

Post by znbamd »

thankyou all
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

Oh no!!! bad sore throat!!! that means bad week ahead for us!! sod's law!!!
dajuni27

Post by dajuni27 »

My DD seems calm about Saturday and she did a practice test at North Cestrian in May so knows what to expect in terms of queuing up etc - what time would you suggest we arrive on Saturday to AGGS? I dont want to get there too early and risk her getting edgy if she sees children upset but then again don't want to be at the back of the queue....or perhaps it would be better to be on last minute when they are starting to go in so we are not having to queue. What do people think?
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

I didn't really see any upset girls at the AGGS exams last year. I think we got there 20 mins early and they started taking some of the girls in early. There are specific points where you will have to wait for someone to come and lead a small group to the class they will be taking the exam in.

I wish you all the best of luck. Dont show your nerves! I pretended I didn't care less and did quite a good job of it as I felt sick all week with anxiety! My DD looked completely shellshocked when I picked her up. I still made light of it and treated it as something of little importance (all the while thinking I was going to throw up). I should have gone into acting. :lol:

Oh yeah and the words busy and bedlam barely cover it! :shock:
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Onthebrink- oh no- but I think it's going round.

Anyway- I would see how she is BUT if she isn't right then phone school toward the end of the week- and don't send her ill. There are I am sure alternative dates.

That's what I suggest anyway.