11th September verbal and non verbal - changes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
test2013

11th September verbal and non verbal - changes

Post by test2013 »

After a year and a half of Kent test tutoring my son took the tests yesterday and found completely new and unpracticed sections. I realised the format was going to change next year but why do this to them this year?

Mean! - Only thing this does is undermine the confidence of ten year olds who have gone into the test after working so hard for over a year.

What is wrong with trying to prepare for a test? Why penalise children for shown sheer grit, determination and stamina?

Does anybody else have any views on this year's tests?
Twinkle

Re: 11th September verbal and non verbal - changes

Post by Twinkle »

Hi Test 2013, I'm sorry that your child has not had a good experience. But, as Yoyo, one of the Mods has said on another thread we cannot discuss the content or format of the Kent tests at this stage as some children are yet to take the tests - the OOC children take them on Saturday and children who were ill on the days that they were due to take the tests will take them over the next few weeks. It would be unfair to give them an advantage.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

It seems bizarre to change an exam when a real and much publicised change is coming next year anyway. Surely it would further discriminate against those children who prepare at home using the usual bond papers and GL tests, and instead favour the private school children who take a range of tests for different schools, or those privately tutored. I live in an area with an new test, and all that has happened is that the children have to do even more prep to prepare for the unknown! We don't even know who is writing the test.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Surely if the content of the test is new then no one can have prepared for it and it is therefore fairer than ever.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If it is a good test of ability yes, if not, no. I get the feeling anyone can invent an entrance test these days and we are soon going to be back to the days of them containing a lot of middle class "knowledge" rather than tests which are relatively culture free.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:If it is a good test of ability yes, if not, no. I get the feeling anyone can invent an entrance test these days and we are soon going to be back to the days of them containing a lot of middle class "knowledge" rather than tests which are relatively culture free.
Within the confines of my hatred of selective education, the idea of 'relatively culture free' tests sounds appealing mystery- perhaps you could market them if you find the magic formula. :lol: I think it starts 'ip dip sky blue...'

Anyway soon the entrance tests will be for primary schools, from what I can tell from the latest hogwash to spew forth from the government today. In response to (a mere 120) eminent academics cautioning against proposals to test post-foetal children on 'the basics', a statement was issued to say the experts were 'misguided' .http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... perts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why do we stand for this?

OT - apologies to OP- If my one-woman campaign for a later school start ever succeeds, I promise to buy you all a glass of champagne*. I mean it. But sadly I reckon my money is quite safe.

*Eta - yes scary, I will even buy your (and my) favourite one :wink:
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Given that their latest attempt at early testing - the Y1 phonics screening test - produced a "pass" rate of only 58% (down to 44% for August born boys) you'd think they'd be shying away from testing even earlier.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

We might think that, however I am sure think and DfE (or whatever they are called this month) are 2 words which do not go together
Amber

Post by Amber »

Okanagan wrote:Given that their latest attempt at early testing - the Y1 phonics screening test - produced a "pass" rate of only 58% (down to 44% for August born boys) you'd think they'd be shying away from testing even earlier.
Au contraire, Okanagan. In Goveland all this shows is that Phonics should be started when children are much younger. Give them longer to master it before testing begins. Then demonstrate an increase in pass rate which will justify the Toddler Phonics Programme. One would hope that there were some legal safeguards in place in a legislature to prevent a government department riding roughshod over large-scale, well researched expert evidence and opinion to put in places measures which they just sort of fancy trying out. I think it is shocking that in a 'democracy' this is not so and ill-informed hunches and opinions expressed by the likes of Mr Gove can determine what happens to our youngest citizens.

Sorry again OP : :oops:
TestingTimes

Post by TestingTimes »

If the results were sent to schools this week are we now free to discuss in more depth, how the children found this year's test? My son made some comments about the VR paper and I'd be really interested to see if other children picked up on the same thing.