Woohoo, it's over!! Sort of

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bam

Woohoo, it's over!! Sort of

Post by Bam »

Hope everyone is relieved as I am that the 11 plus is over. My daughter came out smiling and thats all that matters. I'll worry about the results as and when.

Now we get back to the Kendricks prep!!! Lol

X
FLG

Re: Woohoo, it's over!! Sort of

Post by FLG »

Yay, it is indeed! DC also came out in pretty high spirits, others not so :( such am emotional time!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I am now really confused, i thought KEndricks was somewhere near Reading?

DS said maths was v hard, but comprehension was "good" not quizzing him at all, and have got diary of a wimpy kid 3 out of library, popcorn and he chose some sinful fizzy cola as his treat!

Luckily we are in catchment of a good upper school, so even if he does not join his bruv at grammar, he will still be with bright kids in a local school, many of which each year would easily have coped at their local catchment grammar, so are raising the standards of the fast track streams. I have many friends singing the praises of these upper schools, so thought I would pass it on for any worried parents, who live in Chilterns area.
Desperate_Parents

Post by Desperate_Parents »

My DS also came out smiling and said the exam was "OK" some hard and some easy. Assured her that she has the best she could even though she did not have any tutoring. Now we wait for the results and hope she has passed to get a place in a Grammar School where her sister goes to.

By the way, where can I find information on other high schools (non grammar) in Bucks? We are out of area but hope to move to Bucks (fingers crossed) and would need to fill in the CAF form so any advice on schools in Burnham/Bucks would be appreciated.

Well done to all the kids who did their exam and to the parents for persevering with the stress :lol:

Desperate_Dad
Audreylawyer

Post by Audreylawyer »

My DS was also quite content with the exam. I was elated as he told me some of the things we studied over the summer came up! I feel I can now legitimately justify taking the summer off to tutor him.

We went for Nandos. Now to get ready for the others. 1 down :D , 3 to go :( :roll:
guest666

Post by guest666 »

Desperate parent.

The upper school situation in south Bucks has been poor for some years.

Wye Valley (Bourne End) is currently in special measures
Burnham E-Act Academy looks as if it may be turning round, reporting good GCSE results this year having been formed when Burham Upper went into special measures.
Beaconsfield Secondary has also had a rough ride

Even some of the Maidenhead comprehensives, which were popular refuges for Burnham children, have encountered recent problems. Cox Green being under notice to improve.
Desperate_Parents

Guest666

Thank you for your comments. That is what we found when we did our research. So fingers crossed my DD does pass her 11+ and we get a place in a grammar school of our choice.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Chalfonts Community College is very well thought of, and The Beaconsfield School (aka Beaconsfield Sceondary) has turned itself around in recent years. I don't know about others.
scary mum
Desperate_Parents

Hi Scary Mum

When we looked at the OFSTED report for The Beaconsfield School, the report was satisfactory, although this was done in 2010.

Will have to have a look at Chalfont but then am concerned with travel from Burnham.

Thank you
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You would have to take them to Chalfont from Burnham, there is no public transport and I would be surprised if there was a school bus (you can chack on the Bucks County Council website under school transport). You would also be out of catchment with little hope of getting a place, I would have thought. I don't know many people (if any) who would choose Burnham Upper over The Beaconsfield School - everyone I know with children attending it is thrilled with it and I believe children in the top sets do every bit as well as those at grammar school (disclaimer - I have no direct experience of this school, but know a lot of people who do). Still not much help from Burnham, though. Good luck to your DD.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now