Results of 11+ ...

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Reetu

Results of 11+ ...

Post by Reetu »

Hiya,
Want to know how the results of. 11+ exams help to choose a school.
Does the results indicate the cut off marks for the particular school . I mean does the marks means I am eligible for admission in a particular school.
Daogroupie

Re: Results of 11+ ...

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to tell us which schools you are talking about. Different schools release their results in different ways. DAO will give you a ranking number, If it is 65 and higher you have secured a place at the school if you apply and put it first. If you don't apply or you put another school first and you are offered a place at that school you will lose your DAO place. QE will give you a mark and advise you that all boys over a certain mark can apply. On this forum you can work out where your marks stands with others but QE will not give you that information. HBS divide all applicants into A and B. A are advised to apply, B are told not to. As you can see there is no one answer to this question, it all depends on the schools you are applying for. DG
Reetu

Post by Reetu »

Hiya , I have applied for my daughter for hertz south west consortium ( watford girls grammer, parmiters and other school in consortium) , kern grammer schools and HBS
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

For each school you are looking at in the S.W.Herts consortium, look at the score of the last child offered a place under the academic criterion each March. If your child scored above this, then they stand a fair chance of being offered a place next March. This information is on an admission statistics sticky on this forum.
WP

Post by WP »

3b1g has explained about the cutoffs, but I'd add: this information can be useful to allow you to decide which schools to leave off your form, so you can make better use of your preferences. But whichever schools you choose to put on the form, you should still put them in the order you prefer them, regardless of their cutoffs. And make sure you include a safe backup option.

For example, you mention Parmiter's and Watford Girls, both of which have a lot of competition for places. You should decide which of these schools you prefer, before looking at the score information. Depending on your preference and where you live (because Watford Girls has inner and outer catchments), it may be that if your score wasn't enough to get into your 1st choice it wouldn't get you into your 2nd choice either. If that were the case, your 2nd choice wouldn't be doing anything, and you might consider dropping it if you didn't have enough room for a backup option.

You'll be told your score before the due date for that CAF, but the actual cutoff for this year won't be known until they do the actual allocation, so you have to guess from previous years, which jump up and down. The cutoff also goes down a bit between allocation day (1 March) and the start of the school year in September. So you can't know for sure unless your score is substantially higher or lower than the cutoffs in previous years.
Reetu

Post by Reetu »

Then what is the use of disclosing the results before submitting the caf
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Reetu wrote:Then what is the use of disclosing the results before submitting the caf
As WP have mentioned. The score is just a guidence whether you should include a particular school on your CAF.

For HBS if a DD is not in the top 500 (Band A) then there is no point to include the school on the CAF as their English & Maths Extension questions wouldn't be marked.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

my DD has just started at WGSG. Last year was the first year that we had the scores prior to completing the CAF. Some people ( those not on this forum) really do not understand how the allocation system works and put 4 schools that they really had no chance of getting. e.g if you put parmiters, WGSG, Clement Danes and Rickmansworth as your 4 choices and your child scored 215 and you do not live close enough to any of these schools to get a community distance place, then your 4 choices are all wasted and you will not get any of your 4 schools as the score is unlikely to be high enough to get into any of them. If however your child scores 240 and you live in the inner catchment area you are have a reasonable ( but not guaranteed) chance of WGSG ( my dd got in on 240) but may not get parmiters or clement danes but will should definitely get rickmansworth. I reckon you need to be within 3 points of the lowest previous score required to get in ( in september) to make it worth using as one of your choices. Also bare in mind that 2013 yr 7 entry was a very low birth year but 2014 is significantly higher so scores may well go up and distances down.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

The birth rate in 2003 is very similar to 2000. It dropped in between, but rose 20% after 2003!
mon786

Post by mon786 »

Shouldn't the number of children expected to be applying be provided when the choices are made as relevant to whether one will succeed in any given year???? If one knows this, one might make a different choice based on likelihood of achieving a distance place etc if larger cohort etc???
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now