Maiden Erlegh MkII anyone???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bewildered

Maiden Erlegh MkII anyone???

Post by Bewildered »

Some of you looking at Secondary schools may be interested to learn that the Reading East MP is trying to start up a successful new school to meet current secondary school demands in the Reading area.
To this end they are looking to start up a new school run by the Head of ME, who managed an impressive GCSE pass rate of 82% A*-C (incl Eng & Maths) this year.

More details can be found here on getreading and The Reading Chronicle

And from the schools website Maiden Erlegh
Tinkers

Re: Maiden Erlegh MkII anyone???

Post by Tinkers »

At the moment catchment and site have not been sorted out but they are canvassing for signatures at local schools (by the sounds of it, not using well thought out tactics :roll: from what parents have told me, the head of ME is now aware and is sorting that out).
The head is not keen on the crescent road site recently bought by RBC for building a secondary school, not sure what other sites are available.
Since I no longer have a child at primary I'm not in a position to sign up, but it seems like an opportunity not to be missed out on. East Reading has various educational establishments but the one thing East Reading does not have is a state secondary school.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sorry slightly OT and showing my age but what happened to Alfred Sutton and Ashmead?
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Alfred Sutton was closed many moons ago by the long since gone Berkshire county council and long before my time in Reading.
Ashmead I think has essentially been replaced by John Madjeski Academy.

Alfred Sutton Primary still thrives.

Reading UTC opened this week , which is next door to Alfred Sutton Primary. ME mark 2 may be on the same site.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Thanks Tinkers :D
mad?
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Anyone know how many students have actually started at the UTC? I can't find out, just that they still have places for y10.

The public inquiry re the old Elvian site is on at the moment. West Reading Education Network have had a yes to their free school application, and want to set it up there, but developers want to build houses. So in a couple of years' time we could have two extra secondary schools in Reading, as well as the UTC - apparently just in time according to the birth rate data!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'm told that the UTC is full in year 10, that's 80 places this year. Not sure if that is correct.

The main issue with the ME one is Rob Wilson's involvement, as he and RBC really don't get on. Parents in East Reading are fed up of been piggy in the middle.

When I went to the talks by RBC about education, they stated they needed an extra 14 forms of entry at secondary school level in the next few years.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Agree with you Tinkers, it does seem like an opportunity not to be missed out on.

Especially if they pull off starting up as they are advising, from next Sept.

Trouble is they have, as you say, not thought it out well. Not giving enough information for parents to make a decision.

Thinking it would be enough to say 'Would you be interested in a new school Run by ME?' No Information
on catchment other than a vague 'in East Reading', or information of school location.

They have 3 sites to choose from apparently and this questionnaire/survey is from Woodley to Caversham to and including borders of East Whitley and in and around university area.

I've signed up my DD. Couldn't think of a better plan B.
Starting in a new school with no upper years, just year 7, and being run by such a strong team sounds like a no brainer! With nothing to lose. :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This might be a bit late, but apparently they are submitting the bid tomorrow and are 8 signatures short of the 120 year 5s they need.

If you live in or around East Reading and you have, or know anyone, with year 5 children, please encourage them to sign up tonight please.

You can find it on the Maiden Erlegh website.

http://maidenerleghschool.co.uk/newschool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

For anyone who is interested, MEs application to build a new school in East Reading has been approved.

East Reading Academy put in their bid a couple of weeks ago and are waiting to see if they go through to the next stage of the process.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now