Year 4 Maths

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Macca7

Year 4 Maths

Post by Macca7 »

My daughter has just started year 4 and has been placed in the bottom of three maths groups. This is come as a surprise as we were told in her last summer report that she is performing at the 'expected' level for her age group.

Can anyone please tell me what would be the expected/ average level for the end of year 3? I am having a meeting with my daughter's teacher and would like to have some knowledge of levels beforehand.

Is there anyway that you can track progress? I am feeling frustrated as I have highlighted to the school that my daughter struggles with maths since Year 1 but have have just had verbal assurances that all is on track. I wold like to have more evidence that she is 'on track'.

She has also being doing Kumon for the past 1.5 years and while this has helped her mental maths, I feel she needs more work on her problem solving. The worst of it is that we're paying for her to go to private school and feel that the teaching is not really adding any value.

Any advice please?
mystery

Re: Year 4 Maths

Post by mystery »

Expected level for a child at the end of year 2 is 2b. For the end of year 3 it is half way between 2a and 3c. Independent schools are not obliged to follow or test the national curriculum so they are giving you some kind of approximation from I don't know what.

It is possible that at a private school the bottom group is working towards national expectations, and the other groups more than that. Trouble is with Kumon it doesn't follow the national curriculum either, so this won't give you much feel.

You could ask the school to show you the tests they have done to assess her at this point in time, and for some ideas on how to help at home with her particular weak areas. You could buy some workbooks at a good book shop or on ****** which are appropriate to her age and current maths skills. You'll soon move forwards if she does a bit each day and it will be much cheaper than Kumon, and you will have some control. e.g. if you know what they are doing at school that week you can make what you are doing at home match in.

Teaching is not always perfect at private schools either. I'd keep friendly with the current teacher, try to get some more info somehow on what each group is up to, and try a get a bit further on one to one with your daughter at home. Some well focussed one to one at home with maths usually reaps dividends very fast.

At end of year 3 my DD in state primary was 4c as measured by a QCA optional test for year 3 (you can find these on the internet). A couple of months before the test the teacher said she was 3b (also based on a QCA optional test) for year 3. We did some bits here and there from some workbooks at home and on the later test she was 4c.

Get some workbooks which target level 3 maths, and then start on level 4 stuff.

What is she receiving for maths homework at the moment? Can you read her school exercise book and maths text book to see what she is doing at school and practise at home and move things on a stage further?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now