BGS vs Slough Consortium pass marks?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mono Wheel

BGS vs Slough Consortium pass marks?

Post by Mono Wheel »

I notice that the BGS pass mark is 121, and for Slough it is 111 (to be eligible etc). I think the Bucks tests are done by CEM, and Slough is done by NFER(?) but without the numerical section that CEM has. Does anyone know if the scores from CEM and NFER can be compared like for like, e.g. is a CEM score of 125 the same as an NFER score of 125. Apologies if I am factually incorrect in any of my assumptions (or posted in the wrong forum), I am new to this.
Last edited by Mono Wheel on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLG

Re: BGS vs Slough Consortium pass marks? (out of interest)

Post by FLG »

It's been 121 for years, was when I took it too, lots ago! So it's not necessarily the examining body who set it perhaps? I am new to it all too
FLG

Re: BGS vs Slough Consortium pass marks? (out of interest)

Post by FLG »

Oh and the Herschel one used to be even lower, I believe it was 107 when I took mine
Mono Wheel

Re: BGS vs Slough Consortium pass marks?

Post by Mono Wheel »

Thanks FLG

I think, to put it another if a child sits both the CEM and the NFER tests do you think the results from both tests should be roughly the same for the same child? I appreciate that standardisation, and the actual content of the test would vary the results slightly.
chad

Post by chad »

I don't think you can compare the exams pass scores as they are different exams.... apart from the fact that you require 111 to have been deemed to have passed the Slough Consortium exam and 121 to have passed Bucks and I believe the standardisation will mean that approx the same percentage of applicants will pass. (not an expert, so could be wrong).

There have been cases where applicants who have not achieved the pass mark have been accepted but this would now involve an appeal.
In Bucks (unless you are out of area) 121 will get you an offer over a grammar school place, the Slough Consortium do not guarantee a place for everyone who achieves 111 or above - it depends on how oversubscribed they are and other admission criteria.
Mono Wheel

Post by Mono Wheel »

Thanks chad, good to know.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

I would say you really can't compare the marks also. My DD comfortably attained the mark required for Bucks - but was quite some distance away from qualifying in Slough - one really doesn't compare with the other - and you can do well on one and not on the other. Just shows what a dreadful system we are living with!! :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now