QUERY - BUCKS TEST IF OUT OF COUNTY - Is there any point?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mon786

QUERY - BUCKS TEST IF OUT OF COUNTY - Is there any point?

Post by mon786 »

Is there any point taking the Bucks test if one lives in Herts? One grammar school said yes (Chesham) but headteacher of Herts primary says no unless you live in catchment! I also do not understand how Bucks children who fail the 11+ can still get in on appeal to top Bucks Grammar schools, but Herts children don't seem to have same leniency? Any advice much appreciated.
mon786

Re: QUERY - BUCKS TEST IF OUT OF COUNTY - Is there any point

Post by mon786 »

Sorry I meant Herts system not giving same type of appeal to Herts kids as Bucks do for Bucks kids. Not that Herts kids who fail should be able to appeal for Bucks place! I hope I am making sese!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If there are places (which there often are at Chesham), so long as your child achieve the necessary score they may well get a place - after achieving the score it goes on the admission criteria - see the school's website. People go from far & wide to Chesham (and others on the edge of the county, eg Burnham Grammar School).
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mon786 wrote:Is there any point taking the Bucks test if one lives in Herts? One grammar school said yes (Chesham) but headteacher of Herts primary says no unless you live in catchment!
As scary says.
I also do not understand how Bucks children who fail the 11+ can still get in on appeal to top Bucks Grammar schools, but Herts children don't seem to have same leniency? Any advice much appreciated.
There is no geographic discrimination whatsoever for non-qualification appeals. They are purely about whether a child is deemed selective. You could live in Timbuktu and your child be deemed selective if the evidence is strong enough.

At transfer (over-subscription) appeals location can make a difference. A child living within catchment (in or out of county, because there are some catchment areas that go beyond Bucks) may well get preference over a non-catchment child.
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Definitely worth applying - your headteacher doesn't know what they are talking about!

I have two children at a Bucks school and we live in Herts.

However, it probably depends more on where you live and what Bucks schools are of interest. To be honest, I would always do it because it gives you a chance of more choice; especially if your local schools are not great or there is a chance you might not get what you want within Herts. It will help stop the "panic" feelings that may set in, as you can go on more Waiting Lists in Bucks even if you didn't get in on first allocation.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Herts state primary schools on the Bucks side IME have no concept at all of the grammar or independent system. The vast majority of their output would never consider going on to a selective secondary school. They are not a credible source of advice.
northernlass

Post by northernlass »

Yes! My daughter took the test last year and was offered a place at Aylesbury High with Chesham being a lower choice for us. We live 17 miles away from the school. You can check the stats on the Bucks CC site which set out how far out of catchment ecah school has offered placeds each year. Chesham and the Aylesbury Grammars always seem to go a fair distance out.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

mon786 wrote:Is there any point taking the Bucks test if one lives in Herts? One grammar school said yes (Chesham) but headteacher of Herts primary says no unless you live in catchment! I also do not understand how Bucks children who fail the 11+ can still get in on appeal to top Bucks Grammar schools, but Herts children don't seem to have same leniency? Any advice much appreciated.
We were 16 miles from Chesham a couple of years ago and got offered a place....if you can manage the transport and it is a better than the alternative, then go for it...
Pumpkin1000

Post by Pumpkin1000 »

Hi, we live in Herts and our daughter got a place at Chesham in the 12+ allocation. She sat the herts 11+ but was offered a school we were not happy with, she had one year in private and then we found out about the chesham 12+. The school is great, she is happy so we are really happy, it's a great school.