standardisation on basis of age

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
beenish

standardisation on basis of age

Post by beenish »

my daughter is just 10 now 15 days back. i have heard that she would get some extra marks or something similar to that in her 11 plus exam . what is basically that will 2 or 3 marks be added to her total or its something else. tried to read here 11 plus advice on this wrbsite but v complicated statistical procedure.
scary mum

Re: standardisation on basis of age

Post by scary mum »

No extra marks - see explanation in link below

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
beenish

Post by beenish »

thanks a billion. i re read it n now got this term standardisation.....however v complicated procedure. but soemhow younger children will get benifit from this
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The whole point is that there is no advantage or disadvantage according to age.
scary mum
studio1972

Post by studio1972 »

scary mum wrote:The whole point is that there is no advantage or disadvantage according to age.
If 2 children, one 10 years 1 month, the other 11 years, do the same tests and both score lets say 80%, the will have different marks due to the standardisation process. So the older child needs to get a higher % in the tests to get the same mark. This is fair, unlike virtually every other test they do, in which the older child gets the advantage of their increased development and experience.

The problem is, that as far as I can find, there is no information available on how strong the standardisation is. In other words, what the difference is in % terms between pass marks at the various ages.

To add complication, there is an appeal process, and borderline pupils may benefit from higher SATs scores etc, giving an advantage to older pupils. In our area (Wirral), it seems like a large proportion of pupils get through via this route, rather than with a straight test pass, so when you take the process as a whole into account, there is probably a bias in favour of the older pupils after all.
mystery

Post by mystery »

In the old Kent test it would seem that the difference between oldest and youngest at any particular standardised score is about two or three correct answers (depends on the paper - but out of about 50 to 80 questions).

Maybe on these new CEM papers where there seem to be so many more questions in the time the age standardisation will be more refined than this.
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

I'm sure many people will disagree with myself. I am not a fan of this process. When I was a child you had 3 seperate intakes for schooling September, Christmas and Easter. When it was set like this I believe that it was fair.

For example I know three children one was born on the 2nd of September, the second on the 18th of June and the third on the 31st of August. Now they all started pre school the same week, they all started school the same day and they all sat the 11 plus the same time. So why is it fair that the youngest child gets awarded more.

When children are at home they get taught the basics which is nothing like when they start school.

I'm sure people will disagree with my opinion but I'm just not a believer in it when everything else has changed.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Its not just about when children start school. My DD born in July started school at Easter and has just started in year 7, so there are still children affected by the various start dates anyway. The late start affected my DD and the effect was felt by us at least right into year 4.The Easter starters were behind right from the start.

However the main difference is also due to brain maturity and simple length of time. A child born in September will have had a years worth more time taking in vocab (at a rate of 1000 words a year apparently) and a brain that is a year older compared to a August born. That's a significant at 10/11 years old.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

However what about extremely premature births; the whole system is unfair to them!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, I have always thought the whole thing should be based on length of gestation.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now