Stress on Saturday!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nimbus

Stress on Saturday!

Post by Nimbus »

Hi- DS found it soooooo stressful on Saturday. I am sure it was the fact that there were well over 1000 children all arriving at the same time, I just thought it was chaos. I know that some of his friends sit the exam on a different day as it is their religious day on Saturday (which I fully respect).
I just wish they could have split the number of children in half, half to sit on Saturday and the other half on the alternative date. I just feel it would be much easier for the school to manage with half the number of boys and less stressful for the boys as well.
Sorry to rant but still a bit shocked from Saturday.
Elphaba

Re: Stress on Saturday!

Post by Elphaba »

I agree that it was quite chaotic.

I'm not sure the system this year was better than when my other son sat it. They went in through the main entrance before with 2 queues feeding in from either end of Malborough Rd. You could also go with your son to the examination room (I didn't but I know some parents did), whereas this time we just sent them off toward The Grammar which must have been quite daunting. My ds found this OK as he is familiar with the school and The Grammar but I can imagine that being quite scary if it's a totally new environment.

My ds did comment on how many children there were as the huge, snaking queue was clearly visible but I just tried to play it down saying not all the children would want to go there anyway - lots would be using it as a practice test for other exams.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

I thought it was rather orderly, however we did get there quite early. Queue moved fairly quickly, and to me it didnt look as if it was 1000 boys, until pick up time, when things got chaotic.

But the exam by itself was the most diffcult exam my ds sat for as clearly put by himself. I am trying not to worry.
Altymumof2

Post by Altymumof2 »

Nimbus wrote:Hi- DS found it soooooo stressful on Saturday. I am sure it was the fact that there were well over 1000 children all arriving at the same time, I just thought it was chaos. I know that some of his friends sit the exam on a different day as it is their religious day on Saturday (which I fully respect).
I just wish they could have split the number of children in half, half to sit on Saturday and the other half on the alternative date. I just feel it would be much easier for the school to manage with half the number of boys and less stressful for the boys as well.
Sorry to rant but still a bit shocked from Saturday.
Try not to worry, it is awful but I think it is probably worse for the parents. I agree with what you are saying about splitting the exams over 2 days. Whilst I completely respect and understand that some children cannot take the exam on a Saturday for religious reasons, I wonder whether it gives those children an unfair advantage doing their exams on a quieter day with their friends. I had heard there were about 1300 sitting the exam on Saturday?
I'm sure it would be better for everyone if the exam was spread over 2 days- surely 650 children is easier to manage than 1300?
busybee10

Post by busybee10 »

It has to be less stressful for children sitting the exam on a separate day, it's very unfair.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

I agree.
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

I agree- they must have a distinct advantage.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

busybee10 wrote:It has to be less stressful for children sitting the exam on a separate day, it's very unfair.
As someone whose DD sat her exam late, as she was sent home ill from school the day before the original exam last year, I can say it has advantages and disadvantages. Yes it is less busy so the stress of hundreds on children is removed however so is the natural buzz from the busy atmosphere. Also having other children say how hard the exams were was not at all helpful as they kept forgeting DD had not yet sat the exam. We will never know if the exam she took was of the same standard to the original exam or if the results would be compared to the rest of the main cohort or just the cohort taking the late test - a possible disadvantage if it is not the same paper or you are compared to a cohort of late takers who were very bright as opposed to a larger cross section.

All in all I really wish she could have taken the original test (queues stress and all) but we did not want to infect a room full of children with the really nasty virus she had contracted.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

busybee10 wrote:It has to be less stressful for children sitting the exam on a separate day, it's very unfair.
I agree busy bee, especially if you are sitting it with all your mates, it doesn't seem fair at all- rant over! :x