Kendrick exam left and my daughter is shattered......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bam

Kendrick exam left and my daughter is shattered......

Post by Bam »

Afternoon,

My daughter is sitting the Kendrick exam along with many of your daughters I'm sure.
She sat the Buckinghamshire 11 plus and I think she is just mentally and emotionally shattered. I've tried to encourage her and reward her and remind her that there are just 2 weeks left........but she just doesn't look interested. Her marks in VR have always been above the 90% mark and her NVR in the 80%. We were going to work on the NVR.
The thing is she would LOVE to go to Kendrick and understands that its hard to get into even if she passes the exams and I think because she doesn't know anyone else who is taking the exam it is a not an encouraging situation.
Any advice would be welcome. I can't just leave it alone as I know she will be disappointed if she doesn't give it her best :(
ps- her school inconsiderately timed head girl voting the day before the 11 plus! This did not help her confidence at all!!! I've had words with the head.
Tinkers

Re: Kendrick exam left and my daughter is shattered......

Post by Tinkers »

Give her a few days rest. I doubt loads more work at this stage will make too much difference for the Kendrick test. If you still feel you 'need' to be doing something, make it really different. Play scrabble, read something interesting together.
From what I hear the Bucks test takes a lot out of them. She needs some time to recover.
The Kendrick test isn't really difficult but is time pressured. She needs to be mentally refreshed.
Many girls don't know anyone, others think they won't know anyone and they turn up and find someone they know from somewhere. The school seems to try and make them mix.
Bam

Post by Bam »

Good advice, probably just better to leave her be. Think we're ALL shattered! :shock:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DD sat just one exam, the Kendrick one. No others. Not even mocks, as I never quite got round to finding one suitable. We did one or two papers a week over the summer after going through the various question types and 10 minute tests. About 30 mins a week on average.

What is important is that your DD is bright, well prepared in terms of exam technique, relaxed, well,rested and to some extent lucky on the day.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Bam,

The Bucks test is sadly quite a marathon of a test, now.
I would let your daughter chillax, meet up with friends and just have a bit of fun for a few days.
I'm sure she knows the correct test techniques and will do her best on the day if she has had a bit of 'me' time.

As to rumour mongers, sadly we hear the same old things on this forum. (A personal dislike of mine).
As the parent, you know your daughters strengths and weaknesses, and will, as all the parents on this forum, only try
to do the best by her.

Good Luck for the first October.

:D

Bw
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Tinkers wrote: My DD sat just one exam, the Kendrick one. No others. Not even mocks, as I never quite got round to finding one suitable. We did one or two papers a week over the summer after going through the various question types and 10 minute tests. About 30 mins a week on average.

What is important is that your DD is bright, well prepared in terms of exam technique, relaxed, well,rested and to some extent lucky on the day.
Ditto - almost. DD did do a Sutton mock in June for the exam experience and then something local a couple of weeks before for the timings but nothing like some of her classmates claimed to be doing. We took it gently, kept relaxed and went for a Krispy Kreme afterwards before going back to school for the afternoon. Low key and low stress was the game plan for us.
Bam

Post by Bam »

Thanks for all the advice.

I've set up play dates and we're all chillaxing :P

She's done all she can and the Buckinghamshire exam was a lot of hard work! Lord, we put our children through so much at such a young age........ can't help feeling a tad guilty but I know I'd do it all again so mustn't be a hypocrite. :wink:

Bx
jras2636

Post by jras2636 »

I would say "just leave her be". These exams are quite stressful for the kids and parents alike (me included). Even chilled out kids are sensitive to the stress unwittingly displayed by parents.

It is an aptitude test and working all out the last few weeks is counter productive. Just try and get her mind away from the test (comics, magazines, cooking, a movie or two whatever she fancies).

I am sure she is adequately prepared and it is performance on the day that counts. That's is difficult to guarantee for adults let alone kids.

Cheers and all the best. It always works out in the end.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

When my eldest did the Kendrick test, about a fortnight before she told me she wasn't doing any more practice, that if she couldn't do it by now she never would be able to! (She was a lot calmer about the whole thing than I was, lol) There's somethingto be said for a calm, clear mind.

(This year, with dd3, we will be working all the way up to it I think, as I can see she is still very much on the learning curve for VR. If the exam were around next Easter, she might do well ;-) )
nvasu

Post by nvasu »

Can someone please let me know the catchment policies for Kendrick school. I live out of catchment. If my DD gets good mark and i have to shift house, what are the admission procedures/catchment policies for Kendrick school.