TGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

TGS

Post by Guest »

My daughter recently sat mock tests at school. Her results were: M123, VR135 and NVR141. I understand that these were just practice papers, but I am interested to know if she got these scores on the day - if it would be enough for Tonbridge Grammar? We live at the far edge of the catchment for the school, so she needs good scores. Help please!!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

The Maths is a little borderline. The other two are excellent, with top possible score of 141.

A good chance I think, especially with a bit more Maths practice.

Geoffrey

Post by Guest »

I believe a score of around 407 is their usual target!
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Don't think catchment makes any difference. Last year pass scores for in catchment was 410 and out of area 403 - this is not official just what has been gleaned from this site. I know that the overall score was less on appeal. Rumour has it that a third of girls scored 420 - that is 140 on each paper.
Suspect the scores are fine - so try not to worry. But if you do, this site is truly wonderful.

Post by Guest »

As stated above, for TGS you are either in-area (which means any of the Kent 11+ areas) or out-of area (anywhere else). It makes no real difference how far you are from the school as, within each group, places are offered in score order not distance. The only exception is if there is a tie for last place- not something worth worrying about.

Kent standardised scores are 70-140 (rather than 69-141 as in some places) so your daughter's marks equate to an aggregate of 398 which would not have got a place in the first round of allocations this year. However, these are good scores and she may well improve them by January. Go for it!
guest1

Post by guest1 »

The way the mock tests in school are standardised are in not comparable to the real thing. Schools are advised by KCC not to give these scores for this reason. Usually with the real tests, about 75% of the paper can equate to a standardised score of 140 and about 50% correct can equate to a minimum pass of 120. It seems to have followed this average for the past few years. It happened with my son who passed this year and both of his 140 scores were in fact 75% correct, after getting his raw scores from KCC. If you are able to see her mock papers, it is more useful to see how much of the paper she got right, rather than using the scores you have been given. You may be more encouraged by this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now