QMGS results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

diseyp

QMGS results

Post by diseyp »

Hi everyone - how I wish I had found this site 3 years ago when my older son was taking the test !! I have been reading with interest the posts regarding this year's QMGS letters. My younger son scored 336 (letter received Saturday) I am so concerned that the increased number of entrants will mean he doesn't get a place - there seem to be a lot of parents on here saying that their son did OK so they will put QMGS down even though they didn't really want to ... What I wondered was if it comes to choosing between kids with the same score does proximity to the school or having a child already there have any bearing ?? Also is there any way of working out the bell curve for the results to get an idea where he was placed ?
Okanagan

Re: QMGS results

Post by Okanagan »

You check the schools Admissions Policy

"The admission number for entry to Year 7 in 2014 is 112 pupils.

Places in Year 7 of the School from the first day of the Autumn Term 2014 will be awarded on the basis of the results in the three skill areas which are tested: verbal reasoning (incorporating elements of English), non-verbal reasoning (incorporating elements of Maths) and numeracy. Raw scores will be standardised to take account of differences in ages. An order of merit will be drawn up, based on the aggregate standardised marks in all three skill areas.

If more than one candidate obtains the last qualifying score then priority will be given to any such candidate(s) who are in Public Care. If none of the candidates obtaining the last qualifying score is in Public Care then aggregate positions in the three skill areas will be taken into account and the candidate(s) with the lowest aggregate position will be offered the place(s).

Places will be offered to candidates with reference to their rank order in the Entrance Test until the published admissions number is reached."

No mention of proximity there.

What it doesn't say is how exactly they're going to work out to the rankings for the "aggregate positions in the three skill areas" tiebreak. All children who took the test? Just the boys? Just the ones who actually applied to QMGS? Depending upon which it is that could give a different result.

The total score reported is an aggregate of three separately standardised scores, each of which will have an average of 100, and a standard deviation of 15. The proportion scoring over 112 in any one element would be expected to be about 21%. The proportion scoring above 336 on the combination of 3 elements should be less than that as aggregated scores will tend to regress towards the mean (300). So that 21% is probably a pessimistic view of his actual position in the ranking.

Do bear in mind that many candidates will be either looking for one of the other schools in the consortium as their first choice, will have only done this a mock or a fallback position and are planning to apply to the KE schools, or even Warwickshire as their first choice, or will end up moving into/staying in the private sector. The number taking the exam is always well in excess of those who ultimately want the available places. Whatever the factors causing an increase in candidates this year the number actually wanting places is likely to be much more stable, so the quoted cutoff scores from last year are unlikely to vary hugely.
diseyp

Post by diseyp »

Thank-you - that's really useful - when I first saw his score in relation to the pass for last year I was worried but I am starting to understand now that those 18 marks encompass a huge number of candidates ... :o
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

Diseyp. Congratulations to your son for scoring so highly!!! I am almost positive he will secure a place at QMGS with such a brilliant mark. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now