Centro Withdrawing Green Bus Subsidy for 2013/14

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
orianagirl

Centro Withdrawing Green Bus Subsidy for 2013/14

Post by orianagirl »

I have just received an email from the Green Bus Co. saying Centro are proposing to completely withdraw any subsidy they give to the Green Bus service for 2013/14 (and beyond?). They have two options available to them (neither being ideal) and this could mean either a massive price hike (if the company goes private) or a fragmented service if it stays a public service. This could have a huge impact on parents who send/are looking at sending their DC to the schools that use this service! E.g KE Foundation schools. :?
Thegodfather

Re: Centro Withdrawing Green Bus Subsidy for 2013/14

Post by Thegodfather »

How much do you pay now? I've seen on the sides of the bus £8/week and I thought that was expensive!! Is that right? My oldest son travels to school on a normal wm bus. £24/month £288/year for any buses, weekends and holidays inluded-bargain I think!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

There was something about this last year too and then it was agreed to continue the subsidy.
UmSusu
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Thegodfather wrote:How much do you pay now? I've seen on the sides of the bus £8/week and I thought that was expensive!! Is that right? My oldest son travels to school on a normal wm bus. £24/month £288/year for any buses, weekends and holidays inluded-bargain I think!
Centro subsidise the passes for WM buses but in a bizarre twist are now looking to remove the subsidy from dedicated school services. We currently pay £750 per annum, if the subsidy is removed it will increase by £320. There was a meeting at KEFW last week to discuss Green Bus issues. Worcs has already stopped the subsidy resulting in one service being stopped, the FW6 I think.

Perhaps Centro should stop block paving bus stops and replacing perfectly good bus shelters with new ones and use the money for something useful.
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

I've just received it too. I'm concerned about it becoming a public service with changes because my daughter loves the ease and security of the green bus. And she really likes the driver. She has only been at secondary school for three weeks and the way the bus service was marketed at open days helped us make a decision about which school to choose. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens. The way the pros and cons were dealt with in the e-mail seemed to infer that the company wants to remain an exclusive school service but this will be dependant on parents' ability and willingness to pay more.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Just read it. Received an earlier one a few weeks ago hence the meeting at KEFW.

I was surprised to find out that they aren't dedicated school services as I was under the impression that only KEFW pupils caught FW services.

The only realistic option is for a private service with parents paying more otherwise we may as well just use WM buses to get from A to B via C and D and E.
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

Unfortunately for one of my DC who has also only been at secondary school 3 weeks there is no alternative other than the Green Bus to get him to school! The other DC could use a 'public' service but faces a 25 minute walk to and from the bus stop for that.

Although I get a discount from the Green Bus for having more than one child use their buses it is still very expensive. However we chose to use them as they are safe, reliable and convenient. If the cost of the service rises further it would have a big impact on our family budget but if it changes to a more public service it could impact on my poor DCs and the length and quality of their trips to and from school. Either way it is bad news.

Umsusu the Green Bus took Centro to court last year when they withdrew some of the subsidy (and lost!). This time Centro are proposing to completely remove all subsidy.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Aah, I see. It is really quite unfair : a lot of parents committed to the schools based on the fact that the Green buses would get them there. I hope there is a way to sort this out.
UmSusu
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

On the back of the first email, another parent had asked whether we would be interested in a "taxi service". Have to say I was against it but if the Green Bus cost becomes prohibitive it may be something I consider.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Count me in Happy Dad! No far from you anyway
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now